"Frame off" Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I hit a landscaping boulder in the highway larger than a mini fridge dead on the passenger side. It went all the way under the truck as I was going approx 65mph. Luckily I was fine, had I of been in a small car I would have wrecked and possibly died. Insurance is covering the extensive damage and repairs, that being said.... UPGRADES!

The frame was bent beyond pulling, so a whole new frame it is
The entire front right suspension was compromised, so it's being replaced with the SVC Mid travel kit
The entire rear right suspension was also hit so there are new Deavers coming, as well as rear Fox 3.0s being rebuilt and a new bump stop kit
The front Advanced fiberglass, bumper, and valance were also damaged, so various repair and replace there.
Two methods and BFGs were killed also so 2 new there.

Currently the truck is at Forged Off-road in NorCal. I've had a great relationship with that shop over the years and trust the owner Matt completely. I shipped it from Colorado to CA in early May, and we're now at the home stretch. Some of the parts like suspension and fiberglass being made to order take quite some time.

Attaching some pics of the initial damage. Ill add another post for the progress pics.Front susp.jpgFender.jpgDeaver.jpgSheered Pins.jpgWheel.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where did you hit this so called pebble on the highway? i know matt well. he is a good guy. i know the stupid covid bs backed up a lot of businesses. shocks are impossible to find, as well as most parts. hopefully your truck is done soon and we can run trails with smaller rocks

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the current state. Roller this week.
Upgrades / Replacement list:
- New complete frame with lots of plating to reinforce known weak spots
- SVC Mid Travel
- Advanced +2 Fender
- HOWE power steering
- Replace Deaver +3 HDs
- Baja Designs rock lights in 4 wheel wheels
- Livernois high flow fuel pump (mind as well since its dropped) and may add boost down the road to the Livernois Stoker motor
- 2 Method NVs
- 2 BFG KM3 37"
- Rebuild rear Fox 3.0 shocks
- Replace rear bump kit
- Replace all skid plates
- Various other repair work, leaking diff, replacing a lot of frankesteined wiring, etc.

Hopefully about 3+ weeks or so out, but you know how it goes so we'll see. Either way, cant wait to get it back and almost a brand new truck.

Attachments

• Bed off.jpg
    Bed off.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 118
  • New frame.jpg
    New frame.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Frame plating.jpg
    Frame plating.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Motor swapped.jpg
    Motor swapped.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 116
  • SVC.jpg
    SVC.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you hit this so called pebble on the highway? i know matt well. he is a good guy. i know the stupid covid bs backed up a lot of businesses. shocks are impossible to find, as well as most parts. hopefully your truck is done soon and we can run trails with smaller rocks
I25 northbound near Hwy24. Tow truck driver said he heard a landscaping truck dropped some boulders off a flatbed and never reported it.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
So the insurance company didn't total it? If its getting a new frame, I would figure they would total it if it needed a whole new frame..

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the insurance company didn't total it? If its getting a new frame, I would figure they would total it if it needed a whole new frame..
They were getting close. But I have extra coverage for various items, and the receipt for the motor alone was enough.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
They were getting close. But I have extra coverage for various items, and the receipt for the motor alone was enough.

What do you mean, the receipt for the motor was enough? You upgraded that before the crash?

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean, the receipt for the motor was enough? You upgraded that before the crash?
Correct, most of the expensive mods, lights, and especially the motor were added to the policy in the event of a total loss. So we're no where near the covered value.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Correct, most of the expensive mods, lights, and especially the motor were added to the policy in the event of a total loss. So we're no where near the covered value.

Didn't know they would cover a new motor? Did you have to replace the old due to it crapping on yea, or just wanted to update it?

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know they would cover a new motor? Did you have to replace the old due to it crapping on yea, or just wanted to update it?
The previous motor was destroyed on a TV show by Kurt Busch a couple years ago. So I ended up upgrading to the Livernois 6.6L Stroker and made sure the upgrade was covered.