Dual Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still doing a bunch of research, but I'm leaning towards using GBS LiFeMnPO4 cells. 4x 200Ah cells in a 4S configuration weigh ~55lbs and measure ~20" x 5.5" x 10". 4x 100Ah cells in 4S weigh ~28lbs and measure ~11" x 5.5" x 10".

I likely will run a BMS (or some sort of protection circuit). I'm still researching this aspect of the project. There is a lot of info out there, but it's scattered everywhere lol. I'm an engineer - but this isn't close to my area of expertise lol.

I did consider an AGM bank; however, I've had an itch to build a LiFePO4 bank for a while. This is something that might get moved to a small off-road trailer at some point (when I find a nice M1101/M1102 lol) and is more or less a fun project to me. Given the Raptor's limited payload, I wanted to keep things light and compact. Ideally, I'd like to be able to mount everything under or behind the back seats.

I should note that Ideally I want the ability to have several days power for times when I'm camping in one location and relatively shaded (i.e. not able to make much use of solar). I wont have a ton of things running on it, but a fridge does take some power, and I'll probably also want to wire in a WeBoost 4g booster and some low power rock lights to use around camp.

I should note that I don't need the benefit of LFP's high discharge currents for any reason. I'm not trying to run an A/C off the thing or anything lol. AGM would suit my needs, I just want more power at less weight/space.

Nice dims and weight. AGM would be 125-130 pounds and more than twice as large.

Are you active on Recent Discussions — northernarizona-windandsun

Keep us up to date on the project.

PS. I'm living off two 6V T105RE's for my extended overlanding. I can go five days running an ARB 47 liter fridge, daily charging a laptop, two iPhones and two iPads.

That runs the bank down to 55% SOC after five days. My bank is 225AH @ C20. So I use approximately 100AH when he returns n the bank down to 55%. Your bank should have plenty of power.

The ARB has a very low draw, less than 1 amp per hour. What does the Dometic draw?

Last edited:

tractorpole

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed an odyssey pc680 behind the passenger side rear seat in my 12 SCREW, it was enough to run my edgestar 63qt fridge mounted in tje bed overnight 8 to10 hrs. I used the national Luna dual battery kit. It is dark I will take some pictures tomorrow.

racerjb

Reaction score
I like that idea of using the smaller battery behind seat...I may look into if that will work on the Gen 2.

I also run a fridge in the back of truck and I ran 6gauge double shielded wired to the bed with a switch panel and some 12v outlets. But I really want a 2nd battery for peace of mind when the fridge is on during the night.

In my tundra I had a dual battery system and loved it...I used all Blue Sea products as they are extremely reliable and best priced...some of the "overland" kits are overpriced and less quality. Blue Sea has been doing marine dual battery systems for years..

Anyhow, curious to see where everyone choses to mount their 2nd battery...

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about having a battery in the truck so long as it's AGM. Lots of cars have their factory batteries in the cabin. My X5 does.

Pk64f100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about running the 2nd batter under the cab I was looking at under rear seat drivers side of truck but I think in bed or under truck is best I will be posting my decision soon as I work thru My decision making process I also looking into Alternator upgrades.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you even need a second battery to just run a fridge? I had a 4Runner before my truck and all I did was upgrade the battery from lead acid to AGM and it ran the fridge, non-stop, with no problem. I noticed my new truck has a pretty big AGM battery in it already. I'd be surprised if it couldn't run a fridge ...

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. The issue is that you need to be driving the vehicle at least a couple of hours a day to keep up the charge. If I drove every day, like more than 100 highway miles, I could just plug the fridge into a 12v port without need for a second battery. I go out camping for several days to a week at a time...the second battery works for me, along with a folding solar panel set up.

I have the fridge in the bed, which requires heavier wires due to voltage drop (I ran 8awg). In hotter weather the fridge works harder in the bed than it does in the cab, since the ambient temp in the cab is lower than it is in the bed...at least for me.

There’s more than one solution to this :)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a second battery in my bed. its mounted to my bedrack. however my purpose is for my air compressors, bed lights and rear lights. i usually get to offroad events late night after work and set up camp in the dark so the lights help without waking up camp with my light bars. and then the draw of having 4 air compressors when filling up several trucks after airing down