Gen 2 Odyssey Battery PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morgan

Reaction score
Yes. I don't daily drive the Raptor. Or if you don't drive on a long weekend.

What year do you have? You can always have Ford load test your battery.

Haha- mine does sit occasionally, too.
2019. I will probably have them test the battery during the next oil change, thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
K

-klutch-

Reaction score
Is there a failing battery symptom that reveals itself before it gives up the ghost? (Trying to understand when I should replace the battery to avoid a surprise failure.)

Great thread, thanks for your notes. Could be a good sticky.

Two things:
  1. I've been getting the "loud chime" for door entry / seat belt for several weeks. I haven't heard the soft chime in a while, so something is clearly booting up slower.
  2. "Charging System Service Now" started coming up late last week. It's my wife's truck so I didn't observe it myself. She reported it on the way to work and on the way home. I put a volt meter on the battery, the big fuse/block (whatever that's called) outside of the fuse box that goes to the alternator, but stopped short of removing the skid plate to check the voltage at the alternator itself. What I did check looked OK.
I figured since the battery is ~5 or 6 years old (no date on the OEM that I could find) and that we live in Wisconsin it made sense to swap it. That's when some of the shenanigan's began. The 3 dealers near me are all out of OEM batteries for this unit and were pretty unhelpful as to whether or not the truck requires 760 CCA or 850 CCA. Two different people at two different dealers told me two different things. The manual doesn't specify either. parts.ford.com had me leaning towards 850 as most correct when I put in my VIN, but just selecting the trim level gave options in a bigger range. The battery I pulled out of there was only an 800, so clearly they've been learning / updating things as time goes on.

Anyhow, the message was previously coming up every drive she did that day and after the battery swap the problem is gone. So not going to call it fixed yet but if she doesn't complain about it for the rest of this week I'll cross it off the list.

Last edited: