Don't hate me for asking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lupa

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Gen 2 raptor that's pushing 50,000 miles and I'm ready to get a new one. I really love this truck by the way. Been shopping around and I am finding new ones similarly equipped are going for right around 90k and I'm not finding any dealers willing to budge. I would love to go ahead and get the Raptor R, but forget about those prices. Which leads me to my question (and I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth), am I crazy for considering the TRX? It's similar performance to the R, but priced like a standard Gen 3 raptor. I know it's a Ram, but I will only keep it for 3 years. Do you all think in 3 years R's will be available for pricing that is not ridiculous?

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though it’s not ridiculous it’ll be expensive than TRX, as TRX is sold at discount but raptor isn’t (at least for Gen 3, whether it’s R or not).

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think its crazy to consider it. If I was you I would go and drive one. You might love it or you might hate it. But worth trying. As much as I would've like to get an R, I don't see the value and don't think the R is worth $60k more than an Ecoboost. Especially if you get the 37pp with Recaros, the exterior and interior are almost identical. Yes, in an ideal world is only a $30k upgrade but in this market you're looking at ~$150k-ish for an R, I paid $89K for 37pp. Essentially people are paying $60k+ more for a truck that looks identical but sounds different, not for me.

houckhogan

Reaction score
As an owner of a 21 and now 22 TRX, I can tell you that there isn't a single thing that I hate about it, other than fuel economy. Which is the same game you'll play with a Raptor R. I had a Gen 2 Raptor and I'm not going to lie, it was killing me not being in a V8.
I've been considering the Raptor R, but like you said - these dealers (and the idiots paying the premium) have the prices all jacked up. I really want to know who is paying 50-70K over MSRP? I paid $5K over for the first TRX and then got $13k off for ordering the second. Sounds great, right? Well, those days are over. The banks are closed for a 23 TRX and the 24 hasn't opened yet. There is speculation that nothing will go less than MSRP, if you can even get an allocation, i.e. making you pay over MSRP because there are no "orders" coming through. This is the final year for the Hellcat motor and it appears that they might have the "Last Call" in the cards. My suggestion is - find a dealer that won't charge you a premium to order a 24 R when the order banks open, this is what I will be doing. Good luck and don't make any irresponsible, emotional decisions.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Gen 2 raptor that's pushing 50,000 miles and I'm ready to get a new one. I really love this truck by the way. Been shopping around and I am finding new ones similarly equipped are going for right around 90k and I'm not finding any dealers willing to budge. I would love to go ahead and get the Raptor R, but forget about those prices. Which leads me to my question (and I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth), am I crazy for considering the TRX? It's similar performance to the R, but priced like a standard Gen 3 raptor. I know it's a Ram, but I will only keep it for 3 years. Do you all think in 3 years R's will be available for pricing that is not ridiculous?
You're not crazy. Ford can't build what you want in enough volume to satisfy the market. You should buy the competition if it's acceptable. Three years from now? Who knows. The blown V8 may be extinct. I fear for the Raptor itself. The reacceleration of the CAFE laws will not be kind to performance vehicles.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an owner of a 21 and now 22 TRX, I can tell you that there isn't a single thing that I hate about it, other than fuel economy. Which is the same game you'll play with a Raptor R. I had a Gen 2 Raptor and I'm not going to lie, it was killing me not being in a V8.
I've been considering the Raptor R, but like you said - these dealers (and the idiots paying the premium) have the prices all jacked up. I really want to know who is paying 50-70K over MSRP? I paid $5K over for the first TRX and then got $13k off for ordering the second. Sounds great, right? Well, those days are over. The banks are closed for a 23 TRX and the 24 hasn't opened yet. There is speculation that nothing will go less than MSRP, if you can even get an allocation, i.e. making you pay over MSRP because there are no "orders" coming through. This is the final year for the Hellcat motor and it appears that they might have the "Last Call" in the cards. My suggestion is - find a dealer that won't charge you a premium to order a 24 R when the order banks open, this is what I will be doing. Good luck and don't make any irresponsible, emotional decisions.
Gen 2 not havin a v8 killed me for a while until i got it and loved the power and tq while keeping pretty decent mileage. Remember when people were mass selling their TRXs when gas shot up?
Still, i do miss that sound, but i do have my lightning for that still. Plus i barely get to the limit of power offroad, and for the street its still decent. With a lot of experience i can say you can never make trucks as fast as you want. 700hp in my lightning and still get walked by a head/cam z06 (c5).

That said, TRX is an awesome truck, i dont see the huge diff over it vs the Raptor R for how most people use them, especially comparing prices.