Death wobble ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious as what tire your running at 140 mph.

I believe the 2019 Gen 2 Raptor tops out @ 145 mph

I get up to 145 quickly with the Whipple and she still keeps on pulling but I chicken out, I've only done it about 15 times.
Not many places I have chance to do that, safely.
It's a bit scary not feeling feed back from steering starting at 140, 135 feels ok.
Tires, we can debate about speed rating all day long.
As long as you take care of the tires and pay attention to manufacturing dates, make sure none of the tire have more 3 oz. of balance weight, because that just means the tire is not made well. And replace sooner than most would.
The BFG KO2s have served my well. Both class D & E
Don't know if I would trust the class C.

Last edited:

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get up to 145 quickly with the Whipple and she still keeps on pulling but I chicken out, I've only done it about 15 times.
Not many places I have chance to do that, safely.
It's a bit scary not feeling feed back from steering starting at 140, 135 feels ok.
Tires, we can debate about speed rating all day long.
As long as you take care of the tires and pay attention to manufacturing dates, make sure none of the tire have more 3 oz. of balance weight, because that just means the tire is not made well. And replace sooner than most would.
The BFG KO2s have served my well. Both class D & E
Don't know if I would trust the class C.

The tires probably won’t grenade on you at that speed. I would be more concerned with the drive shaft. It’s rated for a certain speed threshold also. I know they have a safety factor built into its rating, who knows what that is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The big problem with going that fast is the rear, I've already had all the bearings, ring and pinion replaced.
I have the AFE rear cover now and run Mobil 1 gear oil, so far the rear is holding up.
I haven't had too many chances going that fast in over a year, just too many people.

Another thing a worry about, is a wind gust, at 145 a sudden gust hitting the side of the truck is probably not a good thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done 120-130 on a flat even surfaced road with no issues, only when driving on an uneven road even to the slightest amount. Took it into the dealership today, had them do an oil change, alignment and rotate the tires plus inspect the suspension. Hopefully it’s fixed. I also had to fix the panoramic sunroof, for whatever reason a piece of the track was broken and it was stuck closed

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
for whatever reason a piece of the track was broken and it was stuck closed
:eek: happened to me too, but I know when and why. I popped open the moon roof after about a month? or so and heard it sticking. when I went to close it, the glass kept bouncing back- that was the broken track piece, stopping the glass.

A lot of guys on here suggest opening to vent position first if it’s been long since the last opening.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
:eek: happened to me too, but I know when and why. I popped open the moon roof after about a month? or so and heard it sticking. when I went to close it, the glass kept bouncing back- that was the broken track piece, stopping the glass.

A lot of guys on here suggest opening to vent position first if it’s been long since the last opening.

And lightly push it upward to help it break the seal and then it should operate easily, at least that's the information given by a guy in a YouTube video explaining how to keep it from breaking when it hasn't been opened in a while.