Death wobble ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had your alignment checked? Might want to have it looked over. Anytime you change the geometry of the suspension you want to have it re aligned.

I second the suggestion. I only have 9,000 on my 2018 and the dealer had to do an alignment. no off roading, no adverse conditions.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By the looks of your avatar pic, it looks like your front is higher than the back.
This will throw off the way the truck rides, it is designed to sit with the back slightly higher than the front.
I believe your catching a lot more air under the truck lifting it and making it unstable.
These boats are not the most aero dynamic. When I'm doing close to 140 I feel the front tires barely touching the asphalt.
Wind tunnel tests confirmed 155 and truck loses contact.
You can get away with level with upgraded rear springs. Either Deavers or Icons.

RaptorAndy2018

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Road Force Balancing is the first thing I’d check. Just a normal tire balancing won’t do on these larger tires. You need a simulated pressure of the tire being on the road. The symptom of it oscillating at a higher speed seems to fit.

It’s not really “death wobble”. That’s something that only occurs on vehicles with a solid front axle and is usually caused by poor suspension geometry. But I can get why you’d call it that. ;)
Check for loose (even a bit loose) suspension parts. Every time I have seen this; it is a slightly loose tie-rod, pitman arm .

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 raptor screw cab with 37’s and 3inch rpg collar. When I go over 80mph on the the road the truck starts to wobble like crazy. The whole truck is wobbling left to right, it’s stops if I slow down gradually. I had a 2017 with the same setup but never did this. Anyone having the same issue ?

37’s and 3inch rpg collar. When I go over 80mph.......

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
By the looks of your avatar pic, it looks like your front is higher than the back.
This will throw off the way the truck rides, it is designed to sit with the back slightly higher than the front.
I believe your catching a lot more air under the truck lifting it and making it unstable.
These boats are not the most aero dynamic. When I'm doing close to 140 I feel the front tires barely touching the asphalt.
Wind tunnel tests confirmed 155 and truck loses contact.
You can get away with level with upgraded rear springs. Either Deavers or Icons.

Curious as what tire your running at 140 mph.

I believe the 2019 Gen 2 Raptor tops out @ 145 mph

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
37’s and 3inch rpg collar. When I go over 80mph.......

I agree. I have not heard good things about the 3” collars with nothing in the back. Maybe you got lucky with the same setup on your 2017...

My 2018 rides perfectly with Geiser 2.5” springs and Deaver +3s on 37” Toyo RTs at speeds up to 110 mph. (Closed track, of course) ;)