Dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red GSXR

Reaction score
This car is 2.5 months old and the battery died already. I was getting some notifications from the Ford app on my phone showing something like remote features have been disabled.

Is this a common issue? What would be draining the battery?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not common. Years ago, we had someone lose their battery early and through some clever troubleshooting it was determined that the sync module was reactivating after the truck was closed and locked. Definitely get the stealership involved ASAP

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitting when you are on quarantine. You have to keep the battery charged. It can only go so long. Or are you saying you have been driving it daily?

OP
OP
R

Red GSXR

Reaction score
Sitting when you are on quarantine. You have to keep the battery charged. It can only go so long. Or are you saying you have been driving it daily?

I have been driving it every few days. I took it to the dealer to have the rear camera fixed Friday, May 1st. 25 miles total.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the OEM batteries are shit. Mine lasted about 2 years then shit the bed. With the truck that new, I'd have them just swap it out on warranty. I think the warranty on the battery is 2 years? Anyway, I went ahead and got a yellow top optima battery, a bit smaller in size than the oem but it is a hell of a battery.

I3IgHndyHtYZIPv2zEB1u4Pa-H2DKWGI4zxk8Rtsk3W8=w2400.jpg

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The battery should read 12.6v when the vehicle isn't started. You can trickle change it yourself until it is full, drive on it for a day and then disconnect the battery completely at night. It should read the 12.4 before you go to bed and then again when you wake up in the am. If the battery isn't holding a charge you know in the am if the voltage is below the 12.4. It sounds like there could be an issue but batteries do go bad quickly sometimes. I'd isolate the issue first which is to get a working battery in there first so you can actually drive it without getting stuck and then see if the new battery gets destroyed too. They are under warranty.

OP
OP
R

Red GSXR

Reaction score
The battery should read 12.6v when the vehicle isn't started. You can trickle change it yourself until it is full, drive on it for a day and then disconnect the battery completely at night. It should read the 12.4 before you go to bed and then again when you wake up in the am. If the battery isn't holding a charge you know in the am if the voltage is below the 12.4. It sounds like there could be an issue but batteries do go bad quickly sometimes. I'd isolate the issue first which is to get a working battery in there first so you can actually drive it without getting stuck and then see if the new battery gets destroyed too. They are under warranty.

Process of elimination! Thanks. Learned my lesson, especially after paying $550 to replace the battery in my Touareg 3 times. 2005 V8 loaded with 28142 miles, which sits in my garage.

Anyway, I connected Raptor to one of my trickle chargers. It showed that the battery was fully charged. About 2 hours after disconnecting, I got the same warning from the Ford app on my phone that it disabled remote features on the car once again due to low battery power. Perhaps, when they "fixed" my rear camera issue, they broke something else via firmware update. I will take it to the dealership once again.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know much about the ford battery but it's under warranty until 3 year 36k I believe. When you are tired of dealing with that nonsense on an 80k truck, I highly recommend upgrading to an AGM battery specifically one with a good warranty so if you get a "dud" you can get a brand new one. I found a great AGM called X2 Power Premium and its at a company called Batteries and Bulbs. Great battery with a 5 year warranty. Cant beat 5 year.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the ford battery but it's under warranty until 3 year 36k I believe. When you are tired of dealing with that nonsense on an 80k truck, I highly recommend upgrading to an AGM battery specifically one with a good warranty so if you get a "dud" you can get a brand new one. I found a great AGM called X2 Power Premium and its at a company called Batteries and Bulbs. Great battery with a 5 year warranty. Cant beat 5 year.

Agree on the X2 power AGM batteries. Been using them for years. Great battery.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back when you could purchase a Diehard Platinum battery, they were among the best. Now that they’ve gone the way of the dinosaur the top of the line Interstate MTZ AGM is one of the best. I have one coming Thursday for my Viper, difficult to find the MTZ, however your local Valvoline oil change shop can order for you and have it in a few days. My MTZ-34 was $280, is much smaller than the Raptor battery but puts out 800 CCA and typically lasts way longer than their 4 year warranty. The Diehard Platinum it’s replacing lasted 10 year and lived on a battery tender. Good luck....