D2 - quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install my set of D2s and I have decided to put one pair on switch 3 and one pair on switch 4. I had replaced switch 3 and 4 fuses to 5 amps each. Did I just dream this up? I thought I had read to replace the 10 and 15 to 5 amps but the Rigid instructions don say this? I cant find on here that this is correct. Can some one confirm. Thanks!

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fuse should be rated only slightly higher than the device you are trying to power. The wires and switches you use should be rated higher than the fuse you are using. Do not go higher than the factory rated fuse as the truck wiring is sized for the factory fuse. Take whatever wattage the D2's are (x2 for two lights) and divide that by 12 Volts. That will give you the minimum number of amps you need for your fuse.

D2s @ 28 Watts each.

28Watts x 2lights = 56 Watts

56Watts/12Volts = 4.667 Amps.

5 amps should cover it.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Rigid booklet says 5amp fuse for each set of dually's. When mine arrives I plan on wiring both pair to switch #4 it has 10amp and use the other switches for more lights.

Do you plan on running one set of D2" at a time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
STUTIDE

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Rigid booklet says 5amp fuse for each set of dually's. When mine arrives I plan on wiring both pair to switch #4 it has 10amp and use the other switches for more lights.

Do you plan on running one set of D2" at a time?

THANKS James for the e mial and the rest of you. Yeah I figured there would be times when I just want to run the amber alone and other times when I wnat them both on so I am separating them on 2 separate switches. Thanks again guys!

OP
OP
STUTIDE

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if you all are wondering as I did - you have to flip the front cover 180 if you dont want the "Rigid Industries" to be upside down. Not that big of deal but that would drive me crazy!

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if you all are wondering as I did - you have to flip the front cover 180 if you dont want the "Rigid Industries" to be upside down. Not that big of deal but that would drive me crazy!

Yea my OCD tendencies kicked in when I saw they were upside down!

OP
OP
STUTIDE

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fuse should be rated only slightly higher than the device you are trying to power. The wires and switches you use should be rated higher than the fuse you are using. Do not go higher than the factory rated fuse as the truck wiring is sized for the factory fuse. Take whatever wattage the D2's are (x2 for two lights) and divide that by 12 Volts. That will give you the minimum number of amps you need for your fuse.

D2s @ 28 Watts each.

5 amps should cover it.

THis is good stuff - I had forgotten thats how to figure it. Appreciate the help!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score

D2s @ 28 Watts each.

5 amps should cover it.

Shouldn't you still use the 80% rule?

56watts/12volt = 4.667 Amps
4.667/.80= 5.8 Amps
7.5 amp fuse (rounded up to next standard size)

-Greg