Catch-can bone dry.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer does my oil changed (part of the deal for my extended warranty) so it’s just motorcraft oil currently.
Well if it's hooked up correctly and hasn't been drained by the dealership when they change the oil you simply may not be getting much blow-by. That's a good thing. It is on the passenger side correct? That side usually collects more.

OP
OP
Raptor812

Raptor812

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it's hooked up correctly and hasn't been drained by the dealership when they change the oil you simply may not be getting much blow-by. That's a good thing. It is on the passenger side correct? That side usually collects more.
I wouldn’t imagine the dealership would mess with it. They barely get the oil change done correctly. I’m hoping this is the case of low amounts of blow by. Yes it’s the passenger side.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a JLT Can on the Passenger side of my '19 and have 55k on it. I get about 1 to 2 oz. maximum in 5,000 miles at oil changes. Unlike many others, the only thing I get is oil (No condensation at all). Truck originally used about a quart between changes, but that changed after a long and hard highway trip from Florida to New Mexico and back. Currently any oil use between changes is so minimal, I really can't tell a difference on the dipstick.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a JLT Can on the Passenger side of my '19 and have 55k on it. I get about 1 to 2 oz. maximum in 5,000 miles at oil changes. Unlike many others, the only thing I get is oil (No condensation at all). Truck originally used about a quart between changes, but that changed after a long and hard highway trip from Florida to New Mexico and back. Currently any oil use between changes is so minimal, I really can't tell a difference on the dipstick.
Similar with my 2020. I may get more oil though. Using a full synthetic 5w-30 changed every 5k.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve put at least 8k miles on the truck since installing the catch-can.
I have 3 turbo charged vehicles all with catch cans.

2002 7.3 PSD
2013 Taurus SHO (3.5 ecoboost if you don't know)
2020 F150 Raptor

Also have seen quite a few other vehicles with catch cans.
I have a friend with F150 Ecoboost, his fills with some pretty nasty shit.

Here is my take:

It all depends on how you drive it. I will get alot more out of 7.3 PSD if towing.

My friend tows almost exclusively with his F150.

My wife's SHO might as well be a base model. She rarely if ever goes over 4 psi boost. That car is the most baby-ed Taurus ever. The Biggest reason she wanted the SHO wasn't the turbos but the styling is a little better (less old people car look). Her catch can rarely has much more than a table spoon per oil change. After 100k miles I don't even check it but every third oil change.

My Raptor, I drive fairly aggressive and it has a fair amount (say 4 tablespoons) per oil change.

Basically I feel the more boost you use the more blowby/crankcase pressure and hence the more oil vapor (what a catch can catches)

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 3 turbo charged vehicles all with catch cans.

2002 7.3 PSD
2013 Taurus SHO (3.5 ecoboost if you don't know)
2020 F150 Raptor

Also have seen quite a few other vehicles with catch cans.
I have a friend with F150 Ecoboost, his fills with some pretty nasty shit.

Here is my take:

It all depends on how you drive it. I will get alot more out of 7.3 PSD if towing.

My friend tows almost exclusively with his F150.

My wife's SHO might as well be a base model. She rarely if ever goes over 4 psi boost. That car is the most baby-ed Taurus ever. The Biggest reason she wanted the SHO wasn't the turbos but the styling is a little better (less old people car look). Her catch can rarely has much more than a table spoon per oil change. After 100k miles I don't even check it but every third oil change.

My Raptor, I drive fairly aggressive and it has a fair amount (say 4 tablespoons) per oil change.

Basically I feel the more boost you use the more blowby/crankcase pressure and hence the more oil vapor (what a catch can catches)
This. If you're not getting blow-by..awesome. Monitor it at every oil change, maybe oneday you will. Call it Peace of Mind.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Full Race oil catch can on my Expedition for about a year (can’t remember exactly how long). It connected to the PCV (passenger side) and CCV (driver side). It was doing a great job collecting contaminates.

That is until I installed the Full Race intercooler kit. It caught nothing; for about a year. Thinking it had something to do with the TurboSmart BOV relieving pressure needed to flow the oil through the catch can. With that thought I came up with the idea of only tapping into the PVC side of the engine. Bought a JLT can to replace the previous setup. In approximately 4500-5k I had just below a full can of nasty oil crap. Approximately 1500k was pulling my trailer with my wife’s car from Alabama to Arizona. Sure that made the engine work a bit harder than normal.

Not sure why your not getting any residual stuff in your can. Was gonna mention you might have a loose line causing a leak that interrupts good vacuum that would pull the oil. However, if that were the case you would get a code for the PCV system.

Are you hookup from the PCV valve to the manifold? Did you remove the internal mechanism from your PCV valve? Not sure what it could be without putting eyes on it.

I asked about the internal mechanism because the Full Race setup recommends removing it. However, the JLT did not mention it. Called them to be sure… was told to leave it in.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.MOV
    10.1 MB