GEN 2 Body panel discoloration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I noticed this panel on my 2017 raptor is discolored.

I briefly asked the ford people and they said it's normal.
But they'll try
'yes, that's normal'
with everything they have to pay for if they can get away with it.

20200128_145543-01.jpeg

20200130_143209.jpg

Last edited:

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted urethane (bumper covers) and plastic parts look different vs sheet metal 99% of the time due to differences in the material, being painted separately or sometimes in a completely different facility. I haven’t paid much attention to white raptors here but yours is pretty noticeable. Have you owned it since new? Possible it was refinished prior to you owning for some damage. Many body shops even have a sign on the counter explaining this issue as people pick up their repaired vehicle and say the bumper doesn’t match when it already didn’t match from the manufacturer.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased it in maMay of 2019.
It had 4000 miles on it.
Could tell it was in an accident because one of the screw holder mounts on the front radar was broken.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not normal. I have a white Raptor and mine is not like that.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see mismatched white paint on the plastic parts vs metal parts all the time. That's the main reason I don't buy white cars/trucks. You can see the disparity on nearly any color, but it stands out most on white by far.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
have you tried using a clay bar to see if it is a contaminant or smeared tar or something?

It looks like the clear coat on that part isn't as UV stable as the fender. (which doesn't surprise me being that low-VOC paint is required now.)

the net of it is, NO, that is not normal and NO it shouldn't look like that.

ask them to show you another vehicle that is showing the same condition. betcha they can't

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Oof. That would drive me crazy, and I'm pretty laid back. My white truck matches everywhere as far as I've noticed. Take it to a different body shop, ask them if it's acceptable, and get an estimate, then take the estimate back to the dealer.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried using a clay bar to see if it is a contaminant or smeared tar or something?

It looks like the clear coat on that part isn't as UV stable as the fender. (which doesn't surprise me being that low-VOC paint is required now.)

the net of it is, NO, that is not normal and NO it shouldn't look like that.

ask them to show you another vehicle that is showing the same condition. betcha they can't

no sir because im fairly certain no amount of clay bar will remove the tiny.

its baked in there - its not only the section I illustrated

its the whole panel from 1 end of the spectrum to the other