Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine who works in the oil/gas industry said that you should never, ever, buy 89 octane fuel. By law apparently it only has to be rated higher than 87 octane to be classified as 89. So you could be getting 87.1 octane and paying more for it.

I've run 87 in my truck and have no complaints. We'll see though, I might switch to 91 since it's getting to be 110+ here in Vegas.

That's not necessarily true. Post number 5 is on the money. The additives are important. There is too tier gas like chevron, shell, costco, and 76 with beneficial additives and then there is cheaper gas. I don't mind pumping 87 as long as it's from a top tier supplier.

starkall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run e15 most the time. About 10¢ cheaper a gallon than 87 and e15 is 89oct. 91 non oxygenated here is about $4.30Gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatechgolf

Reaction score
87 or 93?

I have read articles saying that putting higher octane fuel in your car than it requires can actually hurt your engine timing and overall efficiency.

Is this true? Because I would put 93 in the Raptor if it helped.

gatechgolf

Reaction score
Also, when you buy the tuner, it says that you get 5 custom tunes. You can pick out 5 tunes on the stage3motorspors.com website (87-93 economy, 87-93 performance, etc) I am assuming these will come preloaded in the device?