Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run 87, 89, 92, and 94.

Noticed no discernible difference in power output.

Only thing I noticed was spending less or more money at the pump.

Think I'm going to settle with 89 for ***** and giggles.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've run 87, 89, 92, and 94.

Noticed no discernible difference in power output.

Only thing I noticed was spending less or more money at the pump.

Think I'm going to settle with 89 for ***** and giggles.

No difference in how the engine sounded or in mpgs that you could notice?

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No difference in how the engine sounded or in mpgs that you could notice?

It's kind of hard to gauge something like MPG's.

Especially with the climate I'm in.

I got my ride in Jan when it was still cold. The weather has since turned and mpg's have been increasing.

When I pumped my very first 87 octane tank I made sure to listen if I could hear any pinging/detonation.

Didn't hear anything.

Only thing I do is run Shell's premium every once and a while for the additive that's supposed to clean stuff.

Even then, BG44K once a year would work.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm running Chevron 93 with Techron hoping for a cleaner engine. If I can get at least 1 mpg more, I can justify it financially. Otherwise I'll run 87 and save $15 per tankful.

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who works in the oil/gas industry said that you should never, ever, buy 89 octane fuel. By law apparently it only has to be rated higher than 87 octane to be classified as 89. So you could be getting 87.1 octane and paying more for it.

I've run 87 in my truck and have no complaints. We'll see though, I might switch to 91 since it's getting to be 110+ here in Vegas.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All I run is 91 shell since day one. As far as MPG goes, I've done a lot to kill mine such as 37 Nitto Trails, no exhaust, and a full chase rack in the bed.

But the way I see it, I spent 50g's on a truck. I'm not gonna Jew out on the gas. Plus the manual says you get the most HP and torque running 91. If I paid for a Craptor, why not drive it to it's maximum output? If I wanted MPG I would've stuck with my Silverado.

slowest member of WCPR

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owners manual > word of mouth
Ford F150 Owners Manual said:
3.7L V6, 5.0L V8 and 6.2L V8 Engines

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.