GEN 2 Air bags for towing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boat is ~7300lbs and I knew sag would be an issue so in May I installed a set of SuperSprings “SumoSprings”, part # SSR-116-40, which is a longer bump stop similar to the Timbren SES.

What's the tongue weight of your trailer? The sag is obvious but looks to be within reasonable limits. I would guess that a WD hitch would fix most if not all of that. Now that you've tried it, would you have gone with the 1500 lb?

I'm curious why they recommended the 116 over the 117, which is the 4WD version and the mount looks to be abut an inch taller. I assume to maintain more travel, but if you're only using them when towing and removing them when offloading, the taller might be better. Then again, I also see that they have a 1" or so spacer that you could have added.

Last edited:

Shaggy97

Reaction score
What's the tongue weight of your trailer? The sag is obvious but looks to be within reasonable limits. I would guess that a WD hitch would fix most if not all of that. Now that you've tried it, would you have gone with the 1500 lb?

I'm curious why they recommended the 116 over the 117, which is the 4WD version and the mount looks to be abut an inch taller. I assume to maintain more travel, but if you're only using them when towing and removing them when offloading, the taller might be better. Then again, I also see that they have a 1" or so spacer that you could have added.

Have not measured tongue weight but based on total weight it should be ~700lbs. Can't do WD hitch...tongue too long and have surge brakes. I wouldn't do the 1500, likely more noticeable on daily driving. I do remember SuperSprings saying something about height, issue is probably the bump stop pad that sticks out from our leaf spring spacer.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor tows great.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

So, who are those idiot Ford engineers that equip Raptors for towing? I really think they could benefit from your expertise on the subject!

And waste time putting leather seats vs race seats. Idiots up there in Dearborn. Brah, do you even jump?

;)

UPDATE: Looked up my records on the boat, 9,700 pounds full fuel, 900 on the tongue. Hitched her up again and did some towing, works like a champ. Sure it sags but it still tows better than my old F150 which had a 9,600 pound rating and airbags.

Last edited:

OldGuy1

Reaction score
And waste time putting leather seats vs race seats. Idiots up there in Dearborn. Brah, do you even jump?

;)

UPDATE: Looked up my records on the boat, 9,700 pounds full fuel, 900 on the tongue. Hitched her up again and did some towing, works like a champ. Sure it sags but it still tows better than my old F150 which had a 9,600 pound rating and airbags.

So the picture at the gas pumps is with 900 lbs tongue weight and no weight distribution hitch? if so, that's way less sag then i would have expected and great news!

The versatility of the truck is pretty remarkable.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the picture at the gas pumps is with 900 lbs tongue weight and no weight distribution hitch? if so, that's way less sag then i would have expected and great news!

The versatility of the truck is pretty remarkable.

Correct. WDH are very uncommon on boats for a multitude of reasons: long tongue, corrosion and siege brakes to name a few.

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. WDH are very uncommon on boats for a multitude of reasons: long tongue, corrosion and siege brakes to name a few.

I'm surprised there isn't a WD hitch solutions for long tongues... That rules out a lot of snowmobile/utility trailers along with boat trailers.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andersons work with longer tongues - just add more chain. They suck in every other way, though.

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score