Toy Hauler, Airbags, and onboard air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyermanbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with air bags on a Raptor is they are not long enough to work with our suspension and will severely limit your travel. One of the site sponsors was developing some that were supposed to work but they looked complicated and expensive. Sorry I can't remember which one, you might do some research and see if anyone came up with something.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem with air bags on a Raptor is they are not long enough to work with our suspension and will severely limit your travel. One of the site sponsors was developing some that were supposed to work but they looked complicated and expensive. Sorry I can't remember which one, you might do some research and see if anyone came up with something.

I'm guessing you are referring to this.

Ouch, that won't be happening. :pokeowned:

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Let me take a step backwards here. This is an example of the type of toyhauler I'm considering.
Specs:
Dry Weight: 5108 lbs
GVWR: 10000 lbs
Payload: 4892 lbs
Freshwater: 100 gal
Gray Water: 50 gal
Black Water: 50 gal

Realistic? Not realistic? I realize there are a lot of perfect world solutions, but what are the more economical ones? Also, I can't find the Raptor Screw tongue weight listed. I know I've seen it somewhere, but I'm having no luck finding it.

What kind of difference do those rear springs make for towing? I know there are more springs in the pack, but in what way do they change things?

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not airbag a Raptor. Weight distribution hitch is a requirement. I would also suggest putting in a Outlaw Raptor bump stop. I was bending the frame on my SCrew from towing too much. Those two things will allow you to easily tow 8k with no damage from towing. The issue you will run into is that depending on your toy hauler, wind from passing 18 wheelers and side winds will push you all over the place. You can search these forums for "Towing Review" and see my write up about towing with my Raptor and subsequent posts on updates.

FYI: I was towing 8k-10k pounds and started bending the frame. With your edit, I see you are going to end up doing the same with the route you are thinking. You will end up getting blown into another lane due to the lack of weight on the Raptor. Prepare to go slow (60mph safely. 70mph is just white knuckling it and wicked) or go with a lighter trailer. The electronic sway control only does so much and will kick in a lot.

Last edited:

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a cautionary note to the group in general, but in my experience reducing tongue weight is a double-edged sword. Tongue weight is directly related to the stability of the truck and trailer combination. Reduce it too much and the two will react independently to maneuvers, gusts of wind, etc. which at a minimum results in annoying trailer sway. I've not towed with my Raptor or any other truck equipped with electronic trailer sway control, so cannot comment on its effectiveness. To each their own, but towing 8,000lbs behind a Raptor for more than 10 or 20 miles would be outside of my personal comfort tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The key to towing and having control is putting he weight as close to or over the axle(5th wheel style) or in front of the axle(big rig trucks). I'm not sure what tongue weight rating is on the raptor as I have yet to take delivery of mine, but 1000 of the 10000 trailer sounds light to me therefore she's going to want to wiggle her back end going down the road especially when you pass a truck on a 2 lane road. You want to put the weight on the truck if your towing anything off the back of the truck. If its an option for you, see if you can put one of the quads in the bed of the truck when your towing the trailer. It would definitely be safer for you.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The key to towing and having control is putting he weight as close to or over the axle(5th wheel style) or in front of the axle(big rig trucks). I'm not sure what tongue weight rating is on the raptor as I have yet to take delivery of mine, but 1000 of the 10000 trailer sounds light to me therefore she's going to want to wiggle her back end going down the road especially when you pass a truck on a 2 lane road. You want to put the weight on the truck if your towing anything off the back of the truck. If its an option for you, see if you can put one of the quads in the bed of the truck when your towing the trailer. It would definitely be safer for you.

Well, I'm hoping to keep the max weight at 8,000 or below, but I do need to find the tongue weight specs for the SuperCrew. You'd think it would be easier to find.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take a look here http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_f150.pdf

Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight assumes
a towing vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo, tongue load of 10-15%
(conventional trailer)

Ford Towing Guides | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com

randy

Yeah, I had read this, but I guess I was iffy to believe that the Raptor is OK to tow at 1,200 pounds tongue weight (max). That seems to be what is stated here though - with a weight distribution hitch of course.

This leads me to believe that I'm OK stock to tow the above trailer (less than 8,000 pounds and not exceeding 15% tongue weight) - though the addition of suggestions above will definitely improve the towing experience.