ARB Twin Air Compressor Under Seat Install and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taco_drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Viar 400p portable unit. I was thinking about going portable again since I am not sure exactly where I should mount this in my truck and mounting becomes permanent.

How much stronger is the ARB than the 400p? The 400p gets burning hot by the time I take all 4 of my tires from 18psi to 34. It does the job but has been in service for about 10 years now, and I'm worried that the next time I use it could be its last in the middle of nowhere. ARB seems to make a portable unit, but it is a lot more expensive than the unit listed in the post.
I have a portable Viair and and ARB Dual. There's no real difference in inflation time between the two tho the ARB doesn't get as hot. Surprisingly the fastest option out for 37+ tires is the Maxitrac 300 or it's rebadged Napa variant https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C If you already have the batteries/carry a mid torque the Milwaukee air compressor can also inflate 4 37s on a single battery in the range you are talking about. If you aren't running air lockers then all you are doing is spending extra money for an ARB vs better portable options.

Last edited:

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Navy. About to tackle this install. I’m going in the bed in a built right panel. Not using the ARB switch, just going to the upfitter with the purple wire. Anyways- what gauge wire did you go with for the black wires? And did you connect to negative on the battery? Seems like some installs don’t. Thanks for your expertise

I just received the Raptor Alliance mounting kit that places the ARB compressor behind the passenger side rear seat.

Based on the OP’s write-up, I’m going to buy more 8-gauge wire to extend the main power harness.

You mentioned running the purple wire to one of the aux switches. Which switch are you going to use and will the compressor not blow the fuse for the aux switch?

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a portable Viair and and ARB Dual. There's no real difference in inflation time between the two tho the ARB doesn't get as hot. Surprisingly the fastest option out for 37+ tires is the Maxitrac 300 or it's rebadged Napa variant https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTWM10215C If you already have the batteries/carry a mid torque the Milwaukee air compressor can also inflate 4 37s on a single battery in the range you are talking about. If you aren't running air lockers then all you are doing is spending extra money for an ARB vs better portable options.
Yea I might just run this Viar until it blows up then. Then I would get another one that would last another 10 years for half the price of the ARB. Appreciate the info.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received the Raptor Alliance mounting kit that places the ARB compressor behind the passenger side rear seat.

Based on the OP’s write-up, I’m going to buy more 8-gauge wire to extend the main power harness.

You mentioned running the purple wire to one of the aux switches. Which switch are you going to use and will the compressor not blow the fuse for the aux switch?
The purple wire is simply an on/off switch wire. Very minimal draw. Going on #5. So you are going 8 gauge for your ground extensions?

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The purple wire is simply an on/off switch wire. Very minimal draw. Going on #5. So you are going 8 gauge for your ground extensions?

I’ll need to double check the gauge of the negative cable and will match it. I’ll most likely run it to the battery since I’m already running the positive cable all the way to the front.

I just had an audio shop add a JL Stealthbox under the rear seats so I’m going to run the power/ground cables along side those to the box.

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slick setup!

As with most card mods, I'm torn here. I feel like I have absolutely no need for this and simultaneously I'm not sure how I will survive another day without it!

In the chance I don't come to my senses and cave to my weak minded impulses for a quick dopamine hit, is this the compressor you bought?

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slick setup!

As with most card mods, I'm torn here. I feel like I have absolutely no need for this and simultaneously I'm not sure how I will survive another day without it!

In the chance I don't come to my senses and cave to my weak minded impulses for a quick dopamine hit, is this the compressor you bought?

That’s it. It’s nice to have it when you need it rather than wish you had it at a time of need.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Slick setup!

Airing down your tires off-road is a must. So you will have to determine if you plan on taking the truck in the dirt. If you do, this is one of the most important mods possible.

OP
OP
navy2x

navy2x

Reaction score
Nice write up Navy. About to tackle this install. I’m going in the bed in a built right panel. Not using the ARB switch, just going to the upfitter with the purple wire. Anyways- what gauge wire did you go with for the black wires? And did you connect to negative on the battery? Seems like some installs don’t. Thanks for your expertise

I used 8 gauge wire for the black, 10 gauge for the two reds. I connected the black to a ground bolt on the frame right in front of the battery.