GEN 2 Air bags for towing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racerjb

Reaction score
I emailed Timbren and they said to use the ones for the F150... not sure if they really know those will work or not but I may get a set to try out.

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor has the reinforced frame and strongest motor. Besides the off road suspension it should be a towing/ hauling beast.

Bet you over 50% of the Raptors sold never see dirt. Who cares!

Why you or I buy one is our business alone. I too plan to use my truck for everything. Talking the kids to the pool, going to Lowes, hauling bikes and yep, even a little off-road. That said, I'm not treating it like a Jeep. I want a scratch-free Raptor!

We don't have dunes in Ga but have plenty of tight mountain trails. I'll take those on with my KTM.

racerjb

Reaction score
That's not what they told me...

yea I got that email plus another one from someone else at Timbren saying yes us the f150 one...so not sure who to believe..

I don't totally understand why having a shock with built in bumpstop would effect this...these would just be used when towing not off-roading...

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't totally understand why having a shock with built in bumpstop would effect this...

It wouldn't. My bet is that someone there thinks that the truck doesn't have a regular bump stop - meaning that you'd have to drill a hole for it, which in their opinion would be a "significant modification".

Of course it does have a regular bump stop, so someone probably needs to write back and let them know that.

I'd buy the standard ones and see how they work out. They're cheap enough. I've heard that they're super stiff but if you're just towing occasionally, then it's probably no big deal. I'm thinking about getting a set as a stop gap until Icon come out with their springs and more people post up with their experiences on some of the other options.

Last edited:

OldGuy1

Reaction score
Raptor tows great.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Here, this is what he meant to say:

People that buy Raptors to tow are idiots.​

No question about that comment........

:specialed:

So, who are those idiot Ford engineers that equip Raptors for towing? I really think they could benefit from your expertise on the subject!

Shaggy97

Reaction score
My boat is ~7300lbs and I knew sag would be an issue so in May I installed a set of SuperSprings “SumoSprings”, part # SSR-116-40, which is a longer bump stop similar to the Timbren SES. See www.supersprings.com I paid $230 on Amazon. They don’t list a part for the ’17 Raptor, but I called them and they recommended this part #, which is actually for a 2WD F150. Comes in 1000lb and 1500lb options…I did the 1000lb. The Raptor frame has a small bump which prevents the SumoSpring bracket from sitting perfectly flat on the frame…hasn't been an issue.

So far I’m very impressed…there is about 1-1.5” of travel before the SumoSprings begin to add support, so daily driving I hardly notice the change at all. Towing my boat the truck has some sag but not bad, is stable and doesn’t sway at all. Overall I have confidence towing with this one minor change to the suspension. Did I give up a few inches of up travel…of course, but for me it’s worth being able to use my truck as a truck.

IMG_4373_zps0zgfivc1.jpg

IMG_4374_zpswgdh1qie.jpg

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boat is ~7300lbs and I knew sag would be an issue so in May I installed a set of SuperSprings “SumoSprings”, part # SSR-116-40, which is a longer bump stop similar to the Timbren SES. See www.supersprings.com I paid $230 on Amazon. They don’t list a part for the ’17 Raptor, but I called them and they recommended this part #, which is actually for a 2WD F150. Comes in 1000lb and 1500lb options…I did the 1000lb. The Raptor frame has a small bump which prevents the SumoSpring bracket from sitting perfectly flat on the frame…hasn't been an issue.

So far I’m very impressed…there is about 1-1.5” of travel before the SumoSprings begin to add support, so daily driving I hardly notice the change at all. Towing my boat the truck has some sag but not bad, is stable and doesn’t sway at all. Overall I have confidence towing with this one minor change to the suspension. Did I give up a few inches of up travel…of course, but for me it’s worth being able to use my truck as a truck.

IMG_4373_zps0zgfivc1.jpg

IMG_4374_zpswgdh1qie.jpg

No WD hitch??