Afe Scorcher = Massive Loss in Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only bought this vs the MPT tune so there wouldn't be a dealer issue.. just until the Ford Performance tune is released.

The lame thing about all this is I bought it from CJ Pony Parts.. and they are making it extremely difficult to return! They called AFE and said they cant return it unless I work with them to reinstall it and troubleshoot the problem.. what kind of crap is that? No wonder Amazon is killing these mom and pops websites, because you can easily return defective shit! What a joke. Don't buy from them unless you want to be stuck fighting with them for an RMA.

Easy fix, dispute the charge! Been there and done that with them.

Told exactly what I was going to do and once they got word, it was not an issue to return.

And if they don’t then dispute it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only bought this vs the MPT tune so there wouldn't be a dealer issue.. just until the Ford Performance tune is released.

The lame thing about all this is I bought it from CJ Pony Parts.. and they are making it extremely difficult to return! They called AFE and said they cant return it unless I work with them to reinstall it and troubleshoot the problem.. what kind of crap is that? No wonder Amazon is killing these mom and pops websites, because you can easily return defective shit! What a joke. Don't buy from them unless you want to be stuck fighting with them for an RMA.

That sucks. I like the idea of disputing the charge. You could always try to sell it yourself. I had this same thing happen to me when I tried to install the JMS boostmax but those guys were great about taking it back for a full refund. My pedal commander has worked pretty well so I decided to get the Chipwerke to see what happens. Obviously I didn't learn my lesson. My ultimate plan is maybe the ford performance tune or Roush tune with Roush warranty after my ford warranty has expired but they look to be conservative. I emailed whipple to get the Hp and Tq numbers of their tune alone without the CAI and IC and they never even replied to me so I took this as they suck just like the Roush numbers and there is no Whipple warranty. I started an online chat with Chipwerke and the guy gave me a 1 time use 10 % off code. I bought my Roush cold air intake from CJ pony with an on line coupon that are always out there. Let us know if they don't refund your money. I will never buy anything else from them if that is the case. Good luck.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I continue to be against "Cold Air Intakes" (CAI) products.

Way too many downsides and potential for them with very little upside.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I continue to be against "Cold Air Intakes" (CAI) products.

Way too many downsides and potential for them with very little upside.

Ok I will bite. Lets turn this thread into a CAI bashing thread instead of a scorching of the AFE scorcher. I agree with you for the most part. I think that I got little if any gain from the Roush CAI. They advertise a little HP gain but who really knows. It's not like when you put on your pedal commander for the 1st time and put it in sport mode +4 and said wow I better dial this back. I think that is sounds better. What I really worry about is the fact that it is not enclosed. When I am cruising down a dirt road too fast hoping that I don't crash and kicking up dust into my intake from not only the front but the top it makes me cringe. Honestly I do have to lift the hood and wash everything (with a garbage bag over my intake front and top of course). I suppose even the stock intake is open in the front. The cool thing the the Roush intake is that it is easy to wash out and you don't have to replace the filter. Instead of CAI they should call it really big filter that you don't have to replace RBFTYDHTR. The thing that makes me really cringe is when I hit 2 feet of dirty water at like 40 mph or so and it splashes the windshield and over the top of the truck and I think "maybe I should have covered the intake for that one." Anyway I have to live a little. It's not a Subaru Outback its a Raptor.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cold Air Intake = Oxymoron

First of all, there's no "cold air" getting into a "Cold Air" Intake. After that it's all downhill from there.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Not only is the temperature of the air not different, but the quality of the parts is often not the same as stock.

Now have I seen them make a small difference in power? Yes. It has nothing to do with the temperature of the air. It’s because it used a larger, less restrictive filter with a straighter smoother intake pipe. I don’t think the Raptor suffers from a restrictive airbox design either.

Do I have a “CAI” ? Yep. AFE magnum GT. Why? I like the way they sound and the whoosh they make. I don’t think I’m picking up any real power gains and I don’t go into off-road situations where I’m that worried about failure.

First of all, there's no "cold air" getting into a "Cold Air" Intake. After that it's all downhill from there.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Unless it is cold outside. What are you from California or something?

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny! If it's cold outside the factory intake is a COLD AIR INTAKE. :baby:

Thus, my point is made. Again.

Again, I agree with you for the most part. Cold air, Hot air, less air. It's more about the filter size and functionality. I wonder if it matters more at elevation?

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, I agree with you for the most part. Cold air, Hot air, less air. It's more about the filter size and functionality. I wonder if it matters more at elevation?

"More about the filter size."

Are you saying that a larger filter is better than a smaller (factory) filter? And "filter functionality" - what's your point there? A filter keeps particulates of a specific size out while letting gases (air) in.

This is more of an automotive engineering discussion that, for us, IMO, has little bearing on anything of value in regard to increasing the Raptor's performance.

It does affect the Raptor's reliability which is why I would suggest to all Raptor owners to leave the air intake and factory air filter alone! Just check it regularly to clean and replace it.