Afe Scorcher = Massive Loss in Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"More about the filter size."

Are you saying that a larger filter is better than a smaller (factory) filter? And "filter functionality" - what's your point there? A filter keeps particulates of a specific size out while letting gases (air) in.

This is more of an automotive engineering discussion that, for us, IMO, has little bearing on anything of value in regard to increasing the Raptor's performance.

It does affect the Raptor's reliability which is why I would suggest to all Raptor owners to leave the air intake and factory air filter alone! Just check it regularly to clean and replace it.
I suppose that this is a semi-interesting discussion that started in the wrong thread. The CAI serves 2 functions.

1. It intakes air. I think that we are in agreement here that the CAI is actually an air intake if you will. It will intake cold air if the air is cold outside, or hot air from your engine bay, or both depending on which one you have. I suppose that air is air in that is has a certain percentage of oxygen, CO2, nitrogen, etc. I believe that the air flow is important here (laminar flow vs. turbulent flow etc) as well as air pressure (whether it is on open or closed intake system and probably at what elevation you are operating the truck). Any aerospace engineers here? I think that the gains are very small here because air is air and is everywhere. Wasn't there a dude that said he was running cold air from his AC to the intercooler though and had big gains? I say you try this 1st.

2. It is a filter. Thanks for already providing the definition. So yes the idea here is let the air in and keep the other crap out. The surface area is important here. If you look at most of the aftermarket filters they are not flat but shaped like a cylinder to increase the surface area like 2 fold. I would say that this decreases the likelihood of obstruction that would potentially affect performance. The other cool thing about some of these is that they don't need to be replaced so you save money over time. You just wash them out. I do agree that there is a leap of faith here that the ability of the filter to filter out the crap is equal to or better than the stock filter. e.g. my buddy said that he used to street race and would just pull the whole damn filter off of whatever piece of crap that he was racing with and he was faster than with the filter. He just hoped that he didn't suck up a bunch of crap into his engine and blow it up. You first.

As far as affecting performance and reliability I am not sure and neither are you. I got the Roush CAI and they clam 12 hp increase but honestly I am not convinced. I don't think that the performance is worse. The reliability may be better or worse who really knows. It looks better, sounds better, and is easier to maintain.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This whole discussion is a waste of time. All this has been covered ad nauseum on many other websites and on far more technical and product sites. Here's just one: Cold Air Intake Systems | aFe POWER

I've run a CAI before (different vehicle) and liked the sound and the seat-of-the-pants feel because that's what helps most CAI buyers believe it was worth the $$$.

I'll never do it again. 12HP if that is not worth the $$$ and potential issues which, sometimes, are significant.

But, to paraphrase you, "You first."

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole discussion is a waste of time. All this has been covered ad nauseum on many other websites and on far more technical and product sites. Here's just one: Cold Air Intake Systems | aFe POWER

I've run a CAI before (different vehicle) and liked the sound and the seat-of-the-pants feel because that's what helps most CAI buyers believe it was worth the $$$.

I'll never do it again. 12HP if that is not worth the $$$ and potential issues which, sometimes, are significant.

But, to paraphrase you, "You first."

exactly