gen 1 raptor problem solved thanks to frf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first of all, big thanks to @MurderedOutSVT @Nex my friend paul from infinityoverland.com (gen 1 cabin air filters and all shock rebuilds) and a special thanks to @FordTechOne

we finishe offroading in lander wyoming and i came up here to clark wyoming to visit where i used to go to boarding school 30+ years ago. we dropped off tirinas daughter here for the summer to keep her out of trouble and have an experience not many can have. well while im up here my truck goes into limp mode. hill descent and advancetrac fault. wrench light come on immediately. truck doesnt down shift when you press the gas and upshifts as soon as you hit 3k rpm. basically a gutless wonder. first thought was 3rd brake light, sedond thought was wheel speed sensor, third thought..... had to phone some friends. we searched for the culprit and couldnt find why my truck cleared the codes when the ignition was on but the truck wasnt running. but as soon as you started it, the wrench light came on and faults appeared. @Nex and @MurderedOutSVT and paul spent a good amount of time on the phone with me while we bounced ideas off each other trying to find out where the problem was. i appreciate the fact that people were so willing to help. i was about to head into town (30 miles away) to get a maf thinking that was the problem. we all came to that conclusion. i figured i would give @FordTechOne a call and see his insight on this issue, since im 8 hours away from home and tools, and about to find someone to drive to come pick us up. i was on the verge of leaving my truck here at the ranch and coming home to get melody to school and coming back to fix my truck. well fordtechone had me do a couple things, and also started to come to the conclusion that my maf was bad. i disconnected it, and there was no change in either engine performance or codes thrown. so then we started talking about the codes i had. the camshaft position actuator. we were looking and i found the insulation on one of the sensors was bad, but the wire was still good. made sure that there was still a solid connection between and there was no way the wires could short together, or to metal. kept looking...... as soon as i threatened @FordTechOne that i was trading my truck in for a toyota, he magically found the problem. fuse f76 in the bjb (battery junction box. big fuse box under the hood dead center front) this fuse controls power to the maf, crankshaft position actuators, amongst other things. pulled the 20amp fuse, and sure enough, it was toast. i keep a big box of spare fuses handy, so i put in a new fuse and sure enough, it was back to normal.

the moral of this story is to threaten @FordTechOne you are trading your raptor in for a tundra, he will stop installing his flooring and come to your rescue, and save you a day and a half of headscratching, which i should have done in the first place...... also @Nex and @MurderedOutSVT were no help. they just agreed with me on the wrong diagnosis. but i love them anyways (in a non hómo way :3638400157_e7de35b0 actually they were very helpful in doing searching for me while im in an area with very limited service trying to diagnose my truck. these guys are what frf used to be, always helpful and willing to give up their time to help me out. cant say enough good things about them. one day i will be able to repay the favor.

so if your service advancetrac and hill descent fault come on and its not the 3rd brake light check fuse f76 in the bjb. also, dont try to jumpstart a 1994 ford f700 with no batteries with a raptor. its the only weird thing i did and probably caused the problem.
@Nex , @MurderedOutSVT , @FordTechOne thanks for all your help. i can drive home tomorrow now.

ps. i will be blackmailing them for future help. i will threaten to release their phone numbers publicly if they dont. then you can all subscribe them to random adult products

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see that the members here have each other's backs. Getting harder and harder to find these days. Glad everything worked out.
FordTechOne, nice job! FYI, I'd never threaten to trade my raptor in on a Toyota, that's just wrong! Some things you just don't joke about
@FordTechOne is an invaluable resource here. i try not to bug him too much though.

and yes, there a a lot of us who will stop what we are doing to help