3M vs. Rhino/Line X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S120483

Reaction score
Ordering a new Raptor soon and already trying to plan how not to destroy the paint job. Thinking about 3M or Rhino/Line X for the rocker panels, flares, hood and bumpers. I am thinking white right now so I would want to color match the Line X if I do that. Will the Line X look weird or stand off because of the rough texture or an they spray it smooth so it won't be obvious? How will the 3M hold up if I go that route?

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start looking into some mud flaps.

Whichever route you go, those tires are going to huck crap up the side of your truck relentlessly.

I am still trying to find a non-drill solution to flaps.... I don't wanna drill any more holes than are already present.

Sounds like some of the avail flaps will go on the back with existing screws... but have yet to hear of anything for the front (which is the bigger problem since most of the stuff gets thrown up from the front tires)

Sorry, not really addressing your original question.

As for the Line-X Texture.. I have never seen it done without the rough texture? I don't think it's possible because of the way it is applied. (correct me if I am mistaken) And even color-matched imo it stands out as being line-x'd. Is that bad? Personal taste imo. Doesn't seem like many people are goin that route aside from those with the black trucks.... because it looks pretty good on them. I have not seen color-matched line x on any other color raptor on the flares... Only in the bed. Have seen the regular black line-x on blue/orange/white raptor flares.... To be honest though it's hard to say from pictures as people haven't posted well lit quality photo's. Doesn't seem to look as good as it does on the blacks though.

I'm lookin to find some quality pix of line-x'd flares on the blue flame! regular or color matched.... cuz I am thinking of getting that done too since my flares are already scratched up and it bugs me how it stands out in the light =P doors have managed to pick up a little "character" too. a bit late for 3M for me I guess.

Post up some pictures if you get yours color matched! (or even if you don't)

BigBlock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LINE-X will have a texture, however, you can tell the dealer you want a very light texture. In addition, I recommend you request clear LINE-X Premium to be applied as a topcoat.

Here's sort of a closeup of what I just described, LINE-X Xtra with light texture, clear Premium.
PremXtra1.jpg

Here's LINE-X in Blue Flame.
RaptorBlue3.jpg

RaptorBlue1.jpg