Highly Unpopular Mod for Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Foreman1967

Foreman1967

Reaction score
I like the clean look but the practicality of fixed running boards exceeds any value the looks add, to me anyways.
In addition to rock protection, also superb door ding protection.
It wasn't really about the looks per se, more the fact that they drop lower than the stock ones and people are more inclined to use them when getting in/out vs sliding across the seats. Agreed on the possibility of rock chips etc, but I'm not in an area where that is an issue really. This one is more of a mall crawler TBH. I will say also that I had the Lariat prior to this with the power running boards, leveling kit and Raptor wheel and tire set up and didn't have a chip or ding in 3 years. This is also why I named this thread a highly unpopular mod, LOL! IMG_1793.JPEG

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't really about the looks per se, more the fact that they drop lower than the stock ones and people are more inclined to use them when getting in/out vs sliding across the seats. Agreed on the possibility of rock chips etc, but I'm not in an area where that is an issue really. This one is more of a mall crawler TBH. I will say also that I had the Lariat prior to this with the power running boards, leveling kit and Raptor wheel and tire set up and didn't have a chip or ding in 3 years. This is also why I named this thread a highly unpopular mod, LOL! View attachment 420760
You don't do highway driving either? Been plenty of times my truck has picked up rocks and such on the highway and BANG off the boards. Come to think of it, most of my windshield breaks have come from 'mall crawling' or highway.

OP
OP
Foreman1967

Foreman1967

Reaction score
You don't do highway driving either? Been plenty of times my truck has picked up rocks and such on the highway and BANG off the boards. Come to think of it, most of my windshield breaks have come from 'mall crawling' or highway.
Not saying it can't happen, but I'm less concerned about it maybe? Tons of vehicles on the road without side steps and probably have their fair share of dents and dings from that situation and many of them have none. The truck above had to have a windshield at about 800 miles from a strip of metal kicked up from a truck and trailer on I-95. I used to own a body shop so if it gets damaged to the point of being unacceptable, I'll just fix it. Not arguing the points here on the protection, the stocks boards are pretty beefy and do offer a good level of prevention, but it is a truck and it gets used as one so rock chips aren't that much of a worry TBH.

OP
OP
Foreman1967

Foreman1967

Reaction score
Parts are on the way for the next mod! Adding back the lighted cupholders, media bin light and the glovebox light - PLUS adding a light for the upper box as well. Again its the small things and touches that I like to retro fit to my trucks - 2023 is missing a lot of parts that 21/22 had and some of these are more of a chore to add back, such as the media bin and upper glove box have no preformed hole or plug to add the light back in. I think the 22's at least had the plug in the media bin hole that you could replace with the light, 23's for the most part do not have that. Here are the part numbers if anyone is interested, you will have to either build a harness or I can point you to a member of another forum that builds them. These work with the stock ambient light controls once connected. Apologize if this has already been covered here.

1692721007284.png

OP
OP
Foreman1967

Foreman1967

Reaction score
Parts are on the way for the next mod! Adding back the lighted cupholders, media bin light and the glovebox light - PLUS adding a light for the upper box as well. Again its the small things and touches that I like to retro fit to my trucks - 2023 is missing a lot of parts that 21/22 had and some of these are more of a chore to add back, such as the media bin and upper glove box have no preformed hole or plug to add the light back in. I think the 22's at least had the plug in the media bin hole that you could replace with the light, 23's for the most part do not have that. Here are the part numbers if anyone is interested, you will have to either build a harness or I can point you to a member of another forum that builds them. These work with the stock ambient light controls once connected. Apologize if this has already been covered here.

View attachment 420775
Parts are in and confirmed to be the correct ones needed, just have to find time to get them installed - I'll probably start a new thread for that and the factory under seat storage I found on Marketplace for a great deal. Picking that up tomorrow as my truck didn't come with that, I know there are multiple options for storage and some are much better, but I like the way the factory one folds down and is basically not there when in use. I figure there may possibly be someone else out there contemplating the same thing so I'll write up the install, can't hurt :)