20led bar on the wiper cowl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking for info from you lighting experts about how well my mounting idea might work. I'm planning on mounting a 20in series in the middle of my wiper cowl. Will it be strong enough to hold the bar at highway speeds? I'm gonna put a piece of aluminum all the way across under the cowl to support the bar. This is my first light bar so I'm new to the new wave of lighting, I have 4 piaas on the roof but they are no where as bright as this. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me wanting to do this. I would set this up temp and take it out for a good drive where I could see just how much glare came from the location.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that cowl is only plastic, its not very strong. You would have to mount your bracket to and actual body / support structure. Just relying on the plastic is no where near strong enough to hold that light bar on just weight alone. It will sag and fail rather quickly.

OP
OP
JJ f150harley

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks hockster and Huck. Great points I'm gonna mount it temporarily and make some support for it under the cowl to mount to where the wiper motors mount. I didn't think about the glare but hopefully there isn't too much. I appreciate the help.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got substantial glare from hood mount whelens. If you use a spot pattern you might get away ok. Flood pattern its all gonna come back at you on the hood.

OP
OP
JJ f150harley

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Huck. The 20 is a spot but I'm putting 2 6in combos on hood mounts also. Those might give me some problems

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think glare will be pretty bad since it will sitting so low to the hood. A quick mock up with some wood blocks and duct tape will let you know.

OP
OP
JJ f150harley

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea thanks 1ntheoc I might mock it up today since it warmed up a bit.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the above posts about glare... I think it's going to be pretty bad.

Also, your hood is domed, so the center of the hood is the highest part and will block more light than the a-pillar light location unless you raise the light up quite a bit which seems like it would be an annoying obstruction of vision.

Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning behind using this location for a 20" light instead of the bumper grille? Do you have a winch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc