2019 WOT engine ping/detonate at 5500 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilgsx96

Reaction score
So i guess reading the plugs is a thing of the past? Or can you not read the iridium plugs?

rcadd1ct

Reaction score
So i guess reading the plugs is a thing of the past? Or can you not read the iridium plugs?

I am always going somewhere and it is a random occurrence.

Truck is stock with an extended warranty. I told the dealer twice. It is in my file. Nothing in the readout that points to anything.

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
I am always going somewhere and it is a random occurrence.

Truck is stock with an extended warranty. I told the dealer twice. It is in my file. Nothing in the readout that points to anything.

I could let it go and maybe nothing bad would happen, but every time I go WOT and hear the noise, it’s going to bug the hell out of me. Put a motor head friend or relative in it and they say, “let me hear her!” Ping! Ping! Ping! - embarrassment. It didn’t do it brand new. It’s not right

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
Ford Dealership says the noise is not a ping/detonation. It is more of a rattle sound and they are calling in a specialty technician (not associated with their Dealership) to diagnose the rattle. Curious if the rattle is the linkage off of the turbos?

rcadd1ct

Reaction score
Ford Dealership says the noise is not a ping/detonation. It is more of a rattle sound and they are calling in a specialty technician (not associated with their Dealership) to diagnose the rattle. Curious if the rattle is the linkage off of the turbos?

See my post above. They told me wastegate related.

Not sure if it is, though.

Let us know what they say.

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
See my post above. They told me wastegate related.

Not sure if it is, though.

Let us know what they say.

rcadd1ct - I will show the youtube video "2017 ford raptor wastegate rattle" to the service department tomorrow. Thanks!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
If you saw +5.5 the truck was adding timing, and -5.5 was pulling timing.
Modern Fords will Add or subtract timing based on the presence of knock.

The first part is incorrect, but the second part is correct. If you're looking at the nGauge (not a Cobb AP) on a 2018 Raptor, the PID, KNOCKR, reads as it should, a negative value means timing added and a positive value means timing removed. The logic is correct in that timing "retard" is always a negative value as in removing timing. When the value displayed is negative, that shows a double negative, as in the negative "retard" is multiplied by a negative value which results in a positive timing "advance". The Octane Adjust Ratio (OAR) also indicates a negative value when good and a positive value when bad. Same logic applies.

Everything is changing in the latest Ford ECU programming though...

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first part is incorrect, but the second part is correct. If you're looking at the nGauge (not a Cobb AP) on a 2018 Raptor, the PID, KNOCKR, reads as it should, a negative value means timing added and a positive value means timing removed. The logic is correct in that timing "retard" is always a negative value as in removing timing. When the value displayed is negative, that shows a double negative, as in the negative "retard" is multiplied by a negative value which results in a positive timing "advance". The Octane Adjust Ratio (OAR) also indicates a negative value when good and a positive value when bad. Same logic applies.

Everything is changing in the latest Ford ECU programming though...

My apologies, my mind still is stuck on pre 2011 Ford HPtuners logic.
I had a head scratcher dealing with this logic as coyote mustangs read as you stated above, but the 4.6 3v's are the inverse (I just adjusted some knock retard and advance values in my personal 09 Mustang GT like 2 days ago trying to isolate an issue and ran into this.)