2019 WOT engine ping/detonate at 5500 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westy737

Reaction score
My 2018 was bought back by Ford under the California Lemon Law after the dealer could not find out why my Raptor was pinging/detonating under WOT at 5200-5500 rpm. Now my replaced 2019 Raptor with 1800 miles is doing the same exact thing. It only pings between 50-70 mph in 2wd WOT. I have always run premium gas. My 2018 had every component of the vacuum system that locks up the front wheels in 4wd replaced twice under warranty in an attempt to stop the pinging (the dealer did not think it was engine detonation, they thought it was a leak in the vacuum system. My 2018 did not ping/detonate while in 4wd WOT, only would ping in 2wd WOT). My 2019 is making the EXACT same noise and I do not believe that the problem is in the front locking mechanism or hubs. Any idea? Truck is unmodified running on California's wonderful blend of 91 Octane. Thanks

Last edited:

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 does this, but not always, and generally only when in sport mode. Seems the temp and humidity has something to do with whether or not mine does? My issue at the moment is a harsh 3-4 and 4-5 up shift in sport mode that I am fighting with the dealer about. I believe it is a trans valve body, but dealer says no codes so they can’t do anything. Frustrating

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as detonation, if that is the case with your raptor you can try motorcraft SP-550 plugs gapped at .028"
Depending on model year and build date, some trucks already come equipped with them.
We run them in all our tuned raptors which are running more boost with more power and thus far no detonation.

An aftermarket intercooler may help as well. Keeping IAT's down can only help mitigate detonation.

14RS3

Reaction score
With all three 93 octane tunes I have tried in my Raptor I hear what sounds like detonation at wide open throttle or close to it.
I hooked up my ngauge one time and got on it, the sound appeared but it was showing +5.5 timing, or was it negative, but basically it was whatever way means it is adding timing and not taking away because of knock!
So either the knock sensors aren’t picking it up or the noise I hear is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all three 93 octane tunes I have tried in my Raptor I hear what sounds like detonation at wide open throttle or close to it.
I hooked up my ngauge one time and got on it, the sound appeared but it was showing +5.5 timing, or was it negative, but basically it was whatever way means it is adding timing and not taking away because of knock!
So either the knock sensors aren’t picking it up or the noise I hear is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you saw +5.5 the truck was adding timing, and -5.5 was pulling timing.
Modern Fords will Add or subtract timing based on the presence of knock.

rcadd1ct

Reaction score
My 2017 does this if you stay at the rpm. If you go through it or off it seems to go away.

Probably a bad area in the stock tune.

Also was told it might be the wastegate linkage making noise.

White raptor

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me with my mpt 93prx tune. I felt like maybe I was not getting good enough gas even though it said 93 octane so I went down to my 91prx tune and it never happened again.

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I’m still waiting for the dealership to tell me what’s up. I suspect Kalifornia 91 shit gas