2011 Raptor 300k issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think there is a bms reset on the gen 1. i have never found anything stating a process when replacing a battery. the new ones, yes. its annoying.
My ‘13 had a bms reset procedure, I know, I put a new battery in and reset it. You may be great at car audio, I’ll just say my ASE master tech certs are in order and I manage a fleet of 100+ Ford vehicles, I have a clue, but continue with your backyard mechanic instructional.

As far as the reset, I’m not sure what’s so annoying, IDS or Forscan can do it, as will a lot of scan tools these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just found something regarding the bms on our first gen trucks. says the truck should sleep 8 hours to reset it. basically let it sit overnight and you will be fine. no wonder they dont really say anything about it. you park it at night and it does it by itself.
Let me know when you get that to work. As long as the modules are talking, it will never reset. Been there, done that, had to “prove” it didn’t work as advertised to another know it all.

Most on here have used forscan to enable features, you can use it to actually troubleshoot and do repairs too.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ‘13 had a bms reset procedure, I know, I put a new battery in and reset it. You may be great at car audio, I’ll just say my ASE master tech carts are in order and I manage a fleet of 100+ Ford vehicles, I have a clue, but continue with your backyard mechanic instructional.

As far as the reset, I’m not sure what’s so annoying, IDS or Forscan can do it, as will a lot of scan tools these days.

what, the procedure? i only just read about letting it sit overnight. im in no way arguing with you or being an ass. its just new info for me to have a bms reset on a gen 1 truck. i dont think anyone who has replaced their battery in a gen 1 has done a bms reset.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘13 had a bms reset procedure, I know, I put a new battery in and reset it. You may be great at car audio, I’ll just say my ASE master tech carts are in order and I manage a fleet of 100+ Ford vehicles, I have a clue, but continue with your backyard mechanic instructional.

So, what is the procedure then?

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what, the procedure? i only just read about letting it sit overnight. im in no way arguing with you or being an ass. its just new info for me to have a bms reset on a gen 1 truck. i dont think anyone who has replaced their battery in a gen 1 has done a bms reset.
As long as you bury your head in the sand, nothing bad will happen.

I’m sure I can find a section in my service manuals, but for what?

At this point I’d say just install your battery, forget the bms, if your battery keeps going dead, just disconnect it while it’s running, wait and see what happens.

I’m quite certain I have run across those that thought it was a good plan in the past, keep up the good work, it’s apparent that the correct answer isn’t what’s needed here, just the feel good, half assed answer, good luck, I’m out.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what is the procedure then?
Hook up to a device and reset the bms, it is that simple. It’s not even annoying, like they guy that’s giving bad advice. Or do as he says, which is nothing. [emoji1745]

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you bury your head in the sand, nothing bad will happen.

I’m sure I can find a section in my service manuals, but for what?

At this point I’d say just install your battery, forget the bms, if your battery keeps going dead, just disconnect it while it’s running, wait and see what happens.

I’m quite certain I have run across those that thought it was a good plan in the past, keep up the good work, it’s apparent that the correct answer isn’t what’s needed here, just the feel good, half assed answer, good luck, I’m out.

im not being a smart ass. if you have info that helps us, then would you mind leting us know? im not one to go on and on about how i know everything. and it appears im wrong about this. i can say that. i dont have an ego. so im not sure why you are saying this? im pretty sure most of us gen 1 owners have never reset bms after changing the battery. its just what i have seen. just because it hasnt had any ill effects doesnt mean its right. i understand that. so if there is a process, im sure would everyone woul like to know it for the future.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up to a device and reset the bms, it is that simple. It’s not even annoying, like they guy that’s giving bad advice. Or do as he says, which is nothing. [emoji1745]

I need to buy some kind of scan tool since I currently have newish vehicles. Both Ford Truck 2013 Raptor and 2014 Eco Boost XLT. I need to be able to check and self diagnose issues. Do you have any input on a scan tool I should purchase?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't speak about any raptor after 2010, but I disconnect my battery lots because it just sits lately, I throw the battery cable back on and fire it up and let it run, never reset anything yet. Interesting learning about the newer ones though, everything is getting more complicated.