100K Mile 2017-2018 Gen 2 Reliability vs 2013 Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over on the f150 ecoboost forums most of the 2015-newer owners who have avoided cam phaser issues do Very frequent oil changes and will try to go WOT at least once in awhile (the "Italian tune up"), to keep that Twin Turbo happy. I'm now doing that with my 2012 3.5 ecoboost with 171XXX miles. So far, so good.
This has nothing to do with the cam phaser issue. The original hardware was just not made for long term durability for the duty cycle.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JJ, both the Gen 1 & 2 like and deserve the best gas you can get in your area. Both are performance vehicles not economy. If you are concerned about the price of gas then you should look for something else. Raptor owners don’t give a crap about the cost of gas. That said, I love those Gen 1 rides but I would take the Gen 2 every time.
not true, peasant juice (87) works just fine in the gen2. been running if it for years and have been mostly highway miles (100K). if you dont need the extra barely noticeable 25 horspower when driving to work then theres no need to pay an extra dollar per gallon of gas

ziggy2022

Reaction score
I have an ’18 with 185,000 miles. I have done the cam phasers and the vacuum tube for the IWE. Recently, I swapped the shocks with rebuilds from TSW. The truck runs great. I change the oil every 8-10k miles. Truck feels like it still has a lot of life in it.
Love hearing this. My wait has barely BEGUN for a '24.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not true, peasant juice (87) works just fine in the gen2. been running if it for years and have been mostly highway miles (100K). if you dont need the extra barely noticeable 25 horspower when driving to work then theres no need to pay an extra dollar per gallon of gas
The engine is designed for 93 octane. By running 87 you’re not only losing a significant amount of power and torque, but fuel economy as well.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine is designed for 93 octane. By running 87 you’re not only losing a significant amount of power and torque, but fuel economy as well.
i get it, it says 91 recommended, not required. never experienced a knock in the engine once. i get 13-14.5 but typically drive 75-80. im also slightly lifted in the front end. so i cant say the economy was significantly effected. maybe could get a half mpg more with better fuel? im tempted to do a study and try it now. i will report back lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's intended to "exercise" the motor at redline, similar to doing a sudden flat-out sprint during your regular jog.
LOL There might be a mechanical reason, but exercise is an analogy. Unless your motor is alive, it’s a bad analogy.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i get it, it says 91 recommended, not required. never experienced a knock in the engine once. i get 13-14.5 but typically drive 75-80. im also slightly lifted in the front end. so i cant say the economy was significantly effected. maybe could get a half mpg more with better fuel? im tempted to do a study and try it now. i will report back lol
The knock sensors will generally pick up the knock and the PCM will retard timing before it ever becomes noticeable to the driver.