100K Mile 2017-2018 Gen 2 Reliability vs 2013 Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Premium 91 is recommended (basically required) on the Gen 2. What about the Gen 1? Is Top Tier 87 ok or is premium recommended here too?
I use 89 octane with my Gen 1 majority of the time cause if price. Occasionally I put 93 in. My experience is that at 87 octane it runs but mpg is really bad. Its happy at 89 and when my Gen 1 was a daily driver I would average 14. 6 going back and forth to work with 89. 93 octane I would get a little more out of it by a a couple 10ths. But they say you get the full 411 hp out of it at 93 octane

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking lifetime average. Are you averaging 22 MPG over the lifetime of the truck? How about 18 MPG? Was it hand calculated?

That 22 MPG was your one "hero MPG" tank, right? All highway, no A/C, 65 MPH, etc? I've seen 18 MPG in my Gen1 in those situations, but that was not on the OEM tires- which costs you at least 1 MPG.
You forgot,foot off gas and coasting down a hill...I once got 19 doing that in my Gen1

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn.

Spoke too soon. I have a whining in my rear end (pause). Possible bearing or hopefully not the ****** transmission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Chose to spend a little more and got a Gen2 (2018, 60k miles). The overall truck is just better. The transmission was worrisome when I test drove it. The stock shift patterns in the 10speed trans are schizophrenic in stock form. But I found this site and read that programming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with a Cobb tuner or similar was the fix. Couldn't be happier with my decision. It's probably one of the top 3 trucks I've ever owned and getting higher on that list every day.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Plenty of Raptor owners care about the cost of gas. The Gen 2 guys complain that V8s use too much gas compared to a V6. I'm guessing if it were free, they would not care.

Come on? The same, repeatedly disproved, complete and utter bùllshit since ... 2017?
One and ONLY gas mileage thread please <-- Gen 1 general discussion forum sticky.

The Jen Juan crew began bitching about EM PEE GEEs 13 years ago and haven’t stopped since.

The Jen Too hopefully had shocks rebuilt or replaced, because if not, it’s gonna need it. Both Jens respective Fox shocks are supposed to be good for ~ 40-60k miles.

a 2017 with 84K for roughly $42K or a 2013 with 33K for $40K

I don’t think this is cut and dry. 2013... with only 33k miles in 10 years. Definitely put eyes on both, but honestly, I’d be looking at the Jen Juan first. 50 thousand less miles than the 2017? I’d definitely want to see it. 84k miles doesn’t frighten me but I’d look at them differently.

The 2017 will have a plastic oil pan. Some of these leaked. You need to put eyes on the oil pan and look for leaks. I think they may now have a metal replacement option, the plastic pan is difficult for most service departments to get right. You already know about the cam phasers. There have been a few recalls on the ’17, and TSB’s - initial roll out of the 10r80 transmission brought some complaints, some justified. There was an update put out for troublesome / harsh shifting, but there is more there. Mine would not downshift in normal mode properly. It wasn’t harsh, it would just try to boost its way out of trouble in the highest gear it could achieve for the speed. The programming made it much better.

both trucks had some rare, but eventful transmission issues, I’ve seen them talked about here but not paid close enough attention to comment. FWIW, in 6 years / 54k miles I’ve replaced a front axle seal and done routine maintenance.

BigBlue20

Reaction score
I run 87 in my Gen2 all day unless I'm at an event or towing. I think i heard it knock maybe once and pull timing. Never again. I dont drive hard in normal traffic, no reason, so 87 is fine an I have almost 90k miles.
Put me down as another 87 octane guy with zero issues. Never heard it knock. There are plenty of articles out there comparing 87 to 91 or 93. If it’s not knocking you don’t gain much unless you are always reving the pi** out of it. Yes, if you are racing then use 91 or 93. With 87 the engine management will retard the engine to prevent knock. But modern engines have knock sensors just for that reason. There is a well written article out there that compares a Gen 2 ring both 93 and 87 while Dyno testing. No knocking but the run with 93 yielded 30+ HP. For me, 99 percent of the time 420 HP is more than enough. Now, when you get into specialty tunes, that’s another story since these tunes maximize all engine parameters for maximum performance. But, 87 is certainly more than enough octane on a Standard Gen 2 to commute or take nice long trips. I just completed a 2,300 mile trip with 87 at an average speed of 76 mph and averaged 17.8mpg to NW Illinois and back. YRMV

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Replaced the vacuum tube for the IWE. That is the only money I have spent on this vehicle and I have had it since it had 15k on it. Every other repair was a RECALL. Not all ecoboost had cam phaser issues.
Over on the f150 ecoboost forums most of the 2015-newer owners who have avoided cam phaser issues do Very frequent oil changes and will try to go WOT at least once in awhile (the "Italian tune up"), to keep that Twin Turbo happy. I'm now doing that with my 2012 3.5 ecoboost with 171XXX miles. So far, so good.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Over on the f150 ecoboost forums most of the 2015-newer owners who have avoided cam phaser issues do Very frequent oil changes and will try to go WOT at least once in awhile (the "Italian tune up"), to keep that Twin Turbo happy. I'm now doing that with my 2012 3.5 ecoboost with 171XXX miles. So far, so good.
Fair enough!

I do the 5-7k oil changes and you better believe I keep that throttle nice n WWWIIDDDDEEE BABYYY

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how running the truck hard will avoid the cam phaser issue.... but, I'm not going to argue it. lol

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's intended to "exercise" the motor at redline, similar to doing a sudden flat-out sprint during your regular jog.