100K Mile 2017-2018 Gen 2 Reliability vs 2013 Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DegenRaptor

Reaction score
Not to thread jack or anything, hunting around for a gen 2 as well. A 17 avalanche just popped up locally to me for 43k. 101k miles and some decent upgrades. These replies def helped ease some of the concerns I had with an earlier production gen 2 haha.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gen 1 has averaged 13.5 MPG over the last 30K miles I've owned it. You'd need to avg nearly 18 MPGs with the premium fuel to get the same mileage per dollar spent. I've not seen any Gen 2 or Gen 3 guys averaging 18 MPGs.
I don't really understand, plenty of us have more than 18MPG With EB, if I drive like a granny with good weather condition I can have almost 22MPG. Also here (France) gas is expensive , but it's a good quality I presume...

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is reliable, I put 160k trouble free, 11mpg miles on my super duty. The raptor engine is basically the same.
My buddies Gen1 was cool but didn't overwhelm me enough to buy one.
He bought his '17 after his first Gen2 ride.
My 2018 has 90k trouble free miles, phasers done under warranty.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand, plenty of us have more than 18MPG With EB, if I drive like a granny with good weather condition I can have almost 22MPG. Also here (France) gas is expensive , but it's a good quality I presume...
22MPG?!
Please excuse my French,

But I believe your croissant per au du toilet conversion to US measurement may be slightly off.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 87 in my Gen2 all day unless I'm at an event or towing. I think i heard it knock maybe once and pull timing. Never again. I dont drive hard in normal traffic, no reason, so 87 is fine an I have almost 90k miles.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JJ, both the Gen 1 & 2 like and deserve the best gas you can get in your area. Both are performance vehicles not economy. If you are concerned about the price of gas then you should look for something else. Raptor owners don’t give a crap about the cost of gas. That said, I love those Gen 1 rides but I would take the Gen 2 every time.

Plenty of Raptor owners care about the cost of gas. The Gen 2 guys complain that V8s use too much gas compared to a V6. I'm guessing if it were free, they would not care.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'm talking lifetime average. Are you averaging 22 MPG over the lifetime of the truck? How about 18 MPG? Was it hand calculated?

That 22 MPG was your one "hero MPG" tank, right? All highway, no A/C, 65 MPH, etc? I've seen 18 MPG in my Gen1 in those situations, but that was not on the OEM tires- which costs you at least 1 MPG.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right @EricM, 19 is my "hero mpg" , 22, it's impossible unlesss I stop engine in downhill... and like everybody, I can be at 12mpg when enjoying offroad for exemple !

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 3 Gen 1's and 1 Gen 2.

If you asked me which one I liked the most, it's the Gen 2, even comparing it to the Roush supercharged Gen 1 I had.
Before I bought the Gen 2, I was still looking for the "right" Gen 1 as well but ultimately wanted to try out the newer platform.

I bought a 2017 Gen 2 with 52k miles on the ODO and will hit 60k this weekend. Had one issue fixed under warranty(water pump) and outside of that it's been a great truck. Checked the Oasis report and it's still on the original oil pan and phasers

Finding a 2013 with 33k miles is pretty damn rare. And at 40k that's a good price imo.

How are the records on the 2017? At a ford dealer if you wanted to throw on an ESP?

I wouldn't be too worried about 84k miles on a Gen 2, as long as there's some type of proof the oil and maintenance was done in reasonable time frames.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter