Mid Perch Before and After

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple top perch questions:
Is it safe for ball joints, ect to go top perch? All I would need is an alignment and labor, rite?
How is the ride and handling ON-Road?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, lol

I've driven the top perch and it was only a little bit stiffer than the middle. The only potential issues off road is that it may put a little more stress on the CVs. There have been no CV failures that i'm aware of but a few have had the CV boots crack.

All you need is to take the shock off, compress the spring so that you can adjust it, but it back on and get it aligned.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The new springs will drop your rear about 1". Going to the top perch would be too nose high IMO

Ah, i see....hmmmm. Isnt that a problem, since you'll be hitting the bump stops more? I know they are Fox bumps and the frame is reenforced, but you still don't want to me bouncing of of them that much, right?

But the HD National springs will _____ . (Fill in the blank).

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah, i see....hmmmm. Isnt that a problem?

But the HD National springs will _____ . (Fill in the blank).

No, this is not a problem. I'll let someone with more knowledge than me explain why.

HD Nationals will raise about 1" i believe. Will be level when on top perch.

Last edited:

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Let me take a stab at this until Jarret can correct me.
Top perch might put more of a bind without a modified Upper Control Arm to expand the angle of motion on ball joints. RPG UCA has a greater range of angulation that will reduce binding.
Rear springs, it is my understanding regular National rear springs have pretty much the same stock ride height Since I have not had a chance to install mine yet I cannot say for sure.
National HD springs will give a bit more "empty" ride height as where the springs are designed to carry a little heavier load. Not sure on specs but RPG can answer those technical questions.
The biggest advantage of National springs is the removal of stock lift block, reduces axle wrap up. Next advantage is a progressive rate spring that gives a better range of movement or articulation over the stock single main leaf another leaf and then somewhat of an overload leaf. Ford did an excellent job within the budget they had to work with, but there is always room for improvement.
National springs have 11 leafs total 2 main leafs which wrap around the front and rear piviot bolts. National springs have been around for Many years, I have had Natoinal springs on my old F-250 for about 10 years or more.
Ford off road racing used National spring as their spring supplier for many years during the "Rough riders" program and beyond

For a performance spring National springs are the way to go. If all you want is a taller ride height, well you would be creating a bigger problem with axle wrap up if you went to taller lift blocks. Same on the front with lift spacer blocks.
Maybe mid perch, and some 37" tires and a little trimming of the inner fenderwell
Hope this helps, any corrections welcomed as I do make mistakes Thanks Big Scott

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, no i'm not looking for more height, i'm more so looking to keep the height as is, and maybe slightly increase my payload ability while retaining the great off-road ability. Which it sounds like i might be looking for something between the standard and HD springs. But i'm about a year away from ordering, so this is more so a fact finding mission until i am really ready to order.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, no i'm not looking for more height, i'm more so looking to keep the height as is, and maybe slightly increase my payload ability while retaining the great off-road ability. Which it sounds like i might be looking for something between the standard and HD springs. But i'm about a year away from ordering, so this is more so a fact finding mission until i am really ready to order.

Ok I hope I helped in some way. RPG might be able to better define load carrying capacitys, but it sounds like the HD would be more in tune to what your needs might be along with a frame stiffner/air bump setup.

Look for Big J"s write up on his install. He is quite the technical writer

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From Middle Perch to RPG Stage 4+

Last Wednesday I had the Fox 3" Front Shocks installed to complete the RPG Stage 4+ Suspension.

DSC00572.jpg

Previously I was on the middle perch of the stock shocks. I don't have any profile pics of my Raptor on the middle perch, but I measured to top of the wheel well at 42" on the fronts.

When the RPG Stage 4+ was installed the top of the front wheel wells is 43" on the fronts. Here are a couple profile pics (on one the rear is in a slight hole)

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

(rear National Springs are the standards)