Used my extended warranty this week.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
YEPPER. Had to use that extended warranty I bought from Randy right before I hit the 12,000 mark.

From day one in my truck, when you start the truck and all the electrical chimes kick in and the a/c does its thing there had been this slight tapping or the sound of a small flapper door dragging and making a slight thump sound like it closed with a thump. You did not always hear this but it was there most times when you start up. I mentioned it on one of my first services for some other warrantee fixes and nothing was found.

So a month or so back, just as I was out of my 36,000 mile warrantee this tapping noise starts when you start the truck. It was from behind the dash on the passenger side. Sounded like tapping on a plastic bucket with the handle of a screw driver. Pop Pop Pop poppoppop. It would stop after 2 to 6 or 8 pops. So I knew I was in for a fix. Searched it on the web. Its a common issue with F 150's and many of Fords trucks. Its called a Blend Valve?

Well if the door in the ventilation system drags or binds it eventually wears out a spline on the drive motor to this door. So the slight clicking or binding as I called it the first time I took it in finally caused the big popping issue.

So on Tuesday morn I get in to go to work and this popping noise does its usual thing sept this time it does not stop. It popped all the way the 25 minutes to work. I finally got it to stop by running the temp all the way cold and the fan on low. Just touch the temp up from 60 to 62 and pop pop pop.

So took it in about 10 am. Got my free rent car and picked the truck up at 6 pm fixed. Paid my $100 deductible and its all good now. I tried to say I complained about the faint noise way back when but to no avail. Oh well. If I had to pay for this out of pocket I would have been out $350.00! Some fix it them selves from my reading. I am not working on anything that requires a fat ass old guy to contort on the floor of the truck to work on. HAhaaaa.

So with the growing list of warrantee fixes I have had in my almost 3 years and 38,000 miles, this extended warrantee will surly pay for itself. I advise buying it if you plan on keeping the truck. I got the 100,000 / 6 year one.

BDRAG

Last edited:

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Replaced two of these on the last truck (GMC Sierra with dual zone climate).

Great to see my new truck will do the same thing. Part was only $75 from rockauto in that case, but on some vehicles they're a bitch to install.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya! Mine's good for 100k. One visit to the dealer for anything major will more than pay for it.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey BDRAG, were you able to reproduce the sound by doing anything specific? Mine did this once, and I can't get it to do it again. Would like to get it fixed.

Of course, my wife's expedition started doing it at 38k miles... I heard its much more expensive to fix those.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Hey BDRAG, were you able to reproduce the sound by doing anything specific? Mine did this once, and I can't get it to do it again. Would like to get it fixed.

Of course, my wife's expedition started doing it at 38k miles... I heard its much more expensive to fix those.

I put my climate on non dual air. Recirculate, set the temp as low as it would go, 60 degrees, and after awhile bump the temp up to 65 and it would just continue the popping.

Probably the same motor on all the ford trucks. ;-(

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope--will not fix it. Mine died as well but was in the first 36k. One reason i am getting rid of this one after the new 6.2 come out for GM. Too many issues that should not have died---love the truck but it has issues that is for sure.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
i am getting rid of this one after the new 6.2 come out for GM. .

So you gonna go hang on the S-10 forum? HAHaaaaa. Those guy's will REALLY SWEAT when you post the pics of that bad ass garage. They may even come visit and help you remove any of the parts that have just fallen off the Raptor while parked in its air conditioned crib! HAhaaaaa.

I know, I know, easy come easy go. Enjoy your OBAMA MOTOR WORKS truck with its REALLY CHEEZY color coded dash screen for old people. Does it have an analog clock as well as a radio with knobs for the old and blind? HAhaaaaa. Be good bubba. I gotta go adjust my $40 driving lights now. See ya around...........

BDRAG

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BDRAG, thanks. Mine clicks once when I increase the temp on either side from 60 to about 72 or so. Just once. Hopefully, that's enough for the dealer to take a look.

Boss, not sure what "Nope--will not fix it" means. I think the dealer will if I reproduce the sound.