GEN 1 Transmission Flush (Why? Answered.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has spent time on FRF has probably come across posts about getting the transmission flushed. How you need to bring it into a dealer and have them hook it up to a machine to do a pressurized flush at operating temperature.

I never really understood how this was any different than just draining the transmission until now. I came across this post that describes why it is prudent to flush the transmission in this manner.

The cliff-notes version of it is:
After a repair is made, or a new transmission is installed, clean transmission fluid may break contamination loose from the transmission cooler and deposit it into the transmission. The Heated Transmission Cooler Line Flusher (Rotunda Tool number 222-00007) takes heated transmission fluid (140°F/60°C) and pulses it through the transmission cooler while magnetic filters pick up any contamination that may break off during the process.

Unfortunately for the DIY-er the Rotunda setup costs around $3K making it pretty inaccessible, especially for something with such a lengthy maintenance interval.

As a side note, the 2013 F-150 Workshop Manual says "NOTE: If the Transmission Heated Cooler Line Flusher or equivalent is not available, install a new transmission fluid cooler and/or an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler."

This doesn't seem like such a bad approach after pricing out the cooler (~$53) and the related tubes/clamps/accessories (~$60).

I am always trying to find ways to keep my truck out of the hands of the "professionals" so here is more ammo for any of you who feel the way I do... Though if you feel the way I do, you'll probably try to save up your money for that sweet Alpha1 transmission cooler upgrade :)

Last edited: