Extende warranty or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying my first Raptor. It is a used 2010 with the lux package. Truck looks to be in good shape. A 4 year number to number package runs 3350. With all the bells and whistles this truck comes with I am inclined to purchase it just for piece of mind. But I thought it would be good to ask for advice from those with experience. Also does anyone know how the insurance provider would react to mods after purchase of said warranty? Truck is 2010, 6.2 liter, moon roof, power everything, et al.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying my first Raptor. It is a used 2010 with the lux package. Truck looks to be in good shape. A 4 year number to number package runs 3350. With all the bells and whistles this truck comes with I am inclined to purchase it just for piece of mind. But I thought it would be good to ask for advice from those with experience. Also does anyone know how the insurance provider would react to mods after purchase of said warranty? Truck is 2010, 6.2 liter, moon roof, power everything, et al.

Truck has 69K on the clock, 1-Are you even going to keep a 2010 for another 4 years?
2-Is the warranty transferable?

I can speak to the fact that I tried to get an extended warranty with mods and nobody would touch it. Now, if you add mods after the warranty it all depends on what you mod. For example, adding a tune should not void your extended warranty to replace a moon roof.

That being said $3,350 towards repairs is not chump change. So, you could roughly come out of pocket $850 a year for parts and labor and breakeven. This is also prior to any deductibles & fine print issues...

IMO, all depends on how you drive it, how much of the work you want/can do yourself whether or not to look at a warranty

OP
OP
rmschaver

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I intend to keep. Quite comfortable working on truck as stock. No not chump change by any standard. It is quite a comprehensive warranty and not really concerned about warranty on mods. More about the base truck it self. Thought I would throw the question out there and see what FRF members opinions are. Any who it does not take much repair on one of these to hit 3K +. FYI this will be a street queen mostly with some occasional offroading. One point of interest the sales person told me the ford techs don't decide what covered if vehicle is brought in. Really made me think WTF. If not the tech then some BWB I guess.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I think the only things that this would make sense for are the engine and transmission. I haven't seen a lot of issues with those. The shocks will also go bad soon. If you are going to keep those it might be worth it. Make sure they do cover things like shocks. The Ford extended coverage I purchased would not cover the shocks.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I intend to keep. Quite comfortable working on truck as stock. No not chump change by any standard. It is quite a comprehensive warranty and not really concerned about warranty on mods. More about the base truck it self. Thought I would throw the question out there and see what FRF members opinions are. Any who it does not take much repair on one of these to hit 3K +. FYI this will be a street queen mostly with some occasional offroading. One point of interest the sales person told me the ford techs don't decide what covered if vehicle is brought in. Really made me think WTF. If not the tech then some BWB I guess.

Sounds like Obamacare for your vehicle

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if it has a sunroof it will break and you will have a $1400 repair bill, personally I have used the warranty a lot on my '10:

* Sunroof
* transmission mount
* cats
* window switches drivers door
* transmission valve body
* transmission bulkhead connector

OP
OP
rmschaver

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks guys. Yeah I luv my toys and my wife makes fun of me about it. BTW she gets her fair share of luv too. Not sure anyone would catch the BWB reference but Fred did. BTW Fred is your truck tuned and can you recommend someone not to far away?

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks guys. Yeah I luv my toys and my wife makes fun of me about it. BTW she gets her fair share of luv too. Not sure anyone would catch the BWB reference but Fred did. BTW Fred is your truck tuned and can you recommend someone not to far away?

I do NOT run a custom tune per say. I have have a SCT turner with tunes from 5Star Tuning. I have been running the tuner since 2012 and currently run the 93 performance.

5Star is a vendor here and I for one have been very happy with their tunes and customer service. Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning ----------->

If you have time give them a call!

Oh yeah BWB, the ugly ones always sound the hottest!