GEN 2 Engine misfire message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JacobSPDPERF

Reaction score
Please replace your spark plugs with Ford P/N CYFS092YPT / Motorcraft P/N SP542 plugs. We gapped them to .028 but you can try a larger gap. But no more than .030.

RobertH6657

Reaction score
I will gap the new plugs to .028. It can't hurt. Thanks for the feedback guys. Forums are great because no matter the advise, it's free and many of you have performed the legwork and seen results already. I'll keep everyone posted on the spark plugs, but it may take a few months to verify results. If I have to put an aFe IC in it with the already installed drain petcock, change the plugs to colder plugs/gap, and put an oil separator on it, then I will. I am going to play around with it a little and see if I can solve the issues. I can do all this work myself. But I can't fix ghosts. I am not going to dump the truck just yet. I can always dump it later. Demand here is very high for these trucks and I don't think that will change over the next year.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I am going to play around with it a little and see if I can solve the issues. I can do all this work myself. But I can't fix ghosts.

I am not going to dump the truck just yet. I can always dump it later. Demand here is very high for these trucks and I don't think that will change over the next year.

Depends if many others experience this too. The longer these are out the more they will prove one way or another.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends if many others experience this too. The longer these are out the more they will prove one way or another.

I agree, how is your Gen 2 V6TT Raptor doing? How many misfire codes have you had. 10005 miles on mine as of this morning and none yet.

RobertH6657

Reaction score
Jacob, I pulled the plugs and put in six (6) new SP542 gapped at .028". Guess what I pulled out of the truck? SP550 plugs gapped at .028". Coloring on all was pretty good. I thought the 17' Raptor was coming with SP534's? So, I just went to a hotter plug, right? Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Jacob, check that. My truck has 1,700 miles on it. The ring around the bottom of each plug DOES have slight carbon buildup. Enough to where with my fingernail, I can chip it off in a light flake. Again, I am no mechanic, but carbon build-up is just the place for pre-detonation to occur, isn't it? I don't pull plugs often and certainly not on a vehicle with 1,700 miles on it, so I don't know what a turbo vehicle plug should look like. This is a new truck, I haven't really hammered the throttle except a few times and that was recently. In fact, it's largely been driven down the highway on cruise control. I nursed the vehicle for the first 1,000 miles to ensure good break-in. Not sure this information helps or not, but thought I would throw it out there.

RobertH6657

Reaction score
Misfire just occurred this morning. Using SP542's and all gapped at .028. Went almost 800 miles with no issues. Damn it!!! It's not the plugs. Starting to believe Smokeshow....it's a ghost.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess its good to see everything that doesn't work and people trying things is cool,

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 39