GEN 2 Engine misfire message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did they tell you what actual code it threw?

did you removed the two air silencer rings/ tornado pieces from the intake pipes?

When i installed my Roush CAI, and removed these, it threw the PO4DB code ( drop in crank case vent pressure) Roush said this happens if you removed the silencer rings, changes the amount of suction on the crank case vent lines, but should be mechanically fine. Happened once after about 400 miles, then again after another 1000 miles, both times when i started it up and got on the throttle pretty quick after warm up.

both times got the same generic 'engine misfire' message from Ford PASS app.

So should I put the rings back in then? Cause I removed mine and I get that message also after getting on the throttle hard after the truck has just warmed up.

xgardx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So should I put the rings back in then? Cause I removed mine and I get that message also after getting on the throttle hard after the truck has just warmed up.

if you don't want to mess with the CEL popping up every now and again, then yeah, put them back in, per my conversation with Roush customer service. They said they have not had a report of the CEL popping up on any trucks that had the silencer rings in place, only on trucks that removed those during the intake install... they kinda hinted that it shouldn't hurt the truck with them out either... so i left mine out and plan to just clear the code every now and again. To me the intake doesn't sound even half as good with the rings in place vs with them out.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't want to mess with the CEL popping up every now and again, then yeah, put them back in, per my conversation with Roush customer service. They said they have not had a report of the CEL popping up on any trucks that had the silencer rings in place, only on trucks that removed those during the intake install... they kinda hinted that it shouldn't hurt the truck with them out either... so i left mine out and plan to just clear the code every now and again. To me the intake doesn't sound even half as good with the rings in place vs with them out.

You willing to sell your rings? I threw mine out. I live in Canfield Ohio.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone figure out why the CEL is tripped for removing the rings? They serve no function other than for intake sound. I have never seen an ecoboost throw a code for simply removing them. In the cases here, I think the flow of the CAI is really what is causing the issues.

xgardx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone figure out why the CEL is tripped for removing the rings? They serve no function other than for intake sound. I have never seen an ecoboost throw a code for simply removing them. In the cases here, I think the flow of the CAI is really what is causing the issues.

from what the tech guys at Roush conveyed to me, its the combo of a CAI and removing the rings that drop the amount of suction/pressure occasionally/ temporarily to the sensor on wide open throttle pulls. they stated they have not had a single person call in with a check engine light shortly after CAI install that had left the rings in, only those that removed the rings. Put the rings back in and the CEL does not trip again.

this leads me to believe that, as most people believe, the CAI alone does not change much/ add any large amounts of HP/TQ alone... the fact of removing the rings probably do not reduce restriction in the intake piping either, than it has to due with acoustics of the intake air.

which for me, was more of my goal, to increase the intake/turbo noise of the engine, than to add TONS of HP+++++++ with these mods. If i were to take it on a heavy offroading trip, i'd probably swap the factory box back in even for the added filtering properties of the stock set up.

I also just added the URP oil catch can kit the other week as well, now i have been avoiding any wide open throttle pulls untill the truck has warmed up, but im waiting to see if the change in the crank case air venting etc etc is affected by this addition to the system. we shall see...

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed my rings when installing the AFE intake and no issues. Now, no oil pressure warnings and I'm all over it[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had an engine light with a misfire message yet?
Got the engine light, misfire fault and vehicle report 5500miles. Service center replacing part HL3z6758-B (crank case tube assembly sensor cable). will update obd code when i get and if this resolves my issue on this similar fordpass and engine misfire light error.

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the engine light, misfire fault and vehicle report 5500miles. Service center replacing part HL3z6758-B (crank case tube assembly sensor cable). will update obd code when i get and if this resolves my issue on this similar fordpass and engine misfire light error.

I had this replaced also and the misfire message came back on. I installed the rings in the intake and no misfire message in the last 3000 miles.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this replaced also and the misfire message came back on. I installed the rings in the intake and no misfire message in the last 3000 miles.

my rings have always been in :) that part replacement does go from a (-a) to a (-b) so who knows if its that sensor. or maybe drastic air temperature change. we'll see, i'll update as it goes

Last edited: