Raptor vs Jeep JL and width concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wdh777

Reaction score
Hi all. So I was planning on getting a new Jeep JL rubicon but recently started thinking of a raptor instead. Any thoughts? Seems like the raptor is more capable vs Jeep except for rock climbing? It’s about 10,000 more expensive than a fully loaded rubicon , less of you lift and change tires on the rubicon. How is the resale value of the raptor? How long has it been out for instance is 2018 the third yearly a typically 6 year life cycle? Any imminent updates like the rumors V8 in 2019? The one thing that is giving me pause is the size it. I live in a suburb of nyc so assume it won’t fit in most garages? The width is the size strictly for the most concern though. It’s 6 inches wider than the Yukon XL I have and some of the parkways and streets are pretty narrow here. Will I notice a big difference? Thanks for your thoughts and patience with a newbie.

Ironwood

Reaction score
I don’t think you should buy a Raptor. Resale values are barely 85% of sticker after two years and there will be no V8 in 2019 or beyond. I think you’ll be much happier in a narrow little Jeep. A Raptor’s extra three inches of width on each side will be too much for you. You’ll have both mirrors dangling by the wires inside of a week. Truly, I think a Fiat Abarth would probably be more your New York style.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2018 is the second model year of the second gen Raptor.

It is wide. Your size concerns are legitimate. It will certainly be more difficult to maneuver and park than a JL

It has great resale value

Completely different animal than a JL. Both have their pros and cons.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Raptor is a great off road truck but one thing it ain’t : svelte.

if you’re concerned about narrow streets and garages, the Raptor likely is a less than ideal fit.

Nick11

Reaction score
Hi all. So I was planning on getting a new Jeep JL rubicon but recently started thinking of a raptor instead. Any thoughts? Seems like the raptor is more capable vs Jeep except for rock climbing? It’s about 10,000 more expensive than a fully loaded rubicon , less of you lift and change tires on the rubicon. How is the resale value of the raptor? How long has it been out for instance is 2018 the third yearly a typically 6 year life cycle? Any imminent updates like the rumors V8 in 2019? The one thing that is giving me pause is the size it. I live in a suburb of nyc so assume it won’t fit in most garages? The width is the size strictly for the most concern though. It’s 6 inches wider than the Yukon XL I have and some of the parkways and streets are pretty narrow here. Will I notice a big difference? Thanks for your thoughts and patience with a newbie.

I think you should be looking at a TrackHawk + Lift Kit + 35 inch tires...

Oh yea baby!

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Compare the consumer reports for both and you'll have enough information to make the correct choice....

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your money your choice. Raptor is awesome and not so practical in the concrete jungle and jeep is just another jeep. Raptor trucks have stellar resale value....

Reaction score
Granted, I don't live in NYC, but I did briefly consider a JL since a loaded one was going to cost as much as my '14 Raptor. I went with the Raptor because:
1) safety
2) features/creature comforts
3) interior space
4) whereas the Raptor does many things well, IMHO, the Wrangler is more of a one-trick pony

Good luck to you.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wdh777,
Yes the Raptor is wide. Wider than a Hummer. But not wider than the city buses. After a very brief time you will not notice the width. I've driven mine through all five boroughs, and all of LI...(I'm from Montauk, now up in Maine). The jeep will be more nimble; however the Raptor will equal or better the Rubicon everywhere but narrow trails.
I've pulled 40-50 jeeps, land rovers, tahoes, etc out of the sand with my Raptor....

Eddie