Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

2017 Raptor Turbo Leak

This is a discussion on 2017 Raptor Turbo Leak within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by jsrick80 @ AndysLog I truly appreciate your help and insight but please understand I wouldn't be going ...

User Tag List

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by jsrick80 View Post
@AndysLog I truly appreciate your help and insight but please understand I wouldn't be going through all of this if it was "normal".

This is anything but normal. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my initial thread but this is extremely loud, there is a Hard knock, it is intermittent. I am one hundred percent confident this is not normal.
make a better video. its unclear what you are trying to showcase.

AndysLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by AndysLog View Post
It was pretty clear to me.
flzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
It was pretty clear to me.
oh well ok then. good luck dunce

fyi before i stopped in, you and half the dummies in here thought your wastegate or blow off valve was stuck open lol. im an actual mechanic with years of experience on turbod motors.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I agree, it would be nice to at least see the tachometer on the video. A close up of the boot gauge isn't really all that useful without seeing what the engine is doing. I think I hear some detonation but its not totally clear to me.

If you really want to trouble shoot the issue get a cheap odb2 reader and one of the free data logger apps.

Mike
AndysLog likes this.
MikeEby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

oh well ok then. good luck dunce

fyi before i stopped in, you and half the dummies in here thought your wastegate or blow off valve was stuck open lol. im an actual mechanic with years of experience on turbod motors.

Everyone's a mechanic on the internet :)
Glamisfan likes this.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Everyone's a mechanic on the internet :)

ďI donít want a solution, I wanna be madĒ

Thatís you, thatís how you sound.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
For those of you helping, I greatly appreciate it.

I was looking for help and realize there are people here of all different levels of maturity. I would rather have these "dummies" who are not "turbo mechanics" trying to help and give me advice, than a "turbo mechanic" making insults.

Anyway, I took several videos already, and that one was the best I could come up with. Its hard to capture the sound. My choices are with the window down and getting all sorts of wind noise, or windows up like I had in this video.

I will try to make another video showing the Tachometer as well. I feel that an explanation of the issue will go further than a video, because the video can't show the hard thump. The issue is most prevalent when the engine is almost lugging. In the video as the boost rises, the engine RPM also rises of course. As the boost/rpms rise, the leaking air sound, which has a metal tinging sounds associated with it increases. Once its at apps 17psi it drops to 0 with a hard thump. The thump is so strong, it feels like I drove over a 4x4 post.

Thanks again
Glamisfan likes this.
jsrick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

Full Access Member

i officially am out of this thread.

you just referred to "turbo spool" as "air leaking sound"
i explain all this in my previous post before you told me the video you took was pretty clear to you.

whats clear is you have no idea what is going on under the hood. no hard feelings, just dont try to act like you know what you are talking about while also asking for help. while also acting like you know better when multiple people have asked for a better video to help you further.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jsrick80 View Post
For those of you helping, I greatly appreciate it.

I was looking for help and realize there are people here of all different levels of maturity. I would rather have these "dummies" who are not "turbo mechanics" trying to help and give me advice, than a "turbo mechanic" making insults.

Anyway, I took several videos already, and that one was the best I could come up with. Its hard to capture the sound. My choices are with the window down and getting all sorts of wind noise, or windows up like I had in this video.

I will try to make another video showing the Tachometer as well. I feel that an explanation of the issue will go further than a video, because the video can't show the hard thump. The issue is most prevalent when the engine is almost lugging. In the video as the boost rises, the engine RPM also rises of course. As the boost/rpms rise, the leaking air sound, which has a metal tinging sounds associated with it increases. Once its at apps 17psi it drops to 0 with a hard thump. The thump is so strong, it feels like I drove over a 4x4 post.

Thanks again
Don't let the minority of unsavory characters on here discourage you from seeking help. It's posts like these that add to the collective knowledge on forums.

Getting back to the issue, this almost certainly sounds like a re-circulation valve issue (blow off valves typically vent the boost to the atmosphere, re-circulation valves just release and recycle it back to the turbo inlet). Your video seems abundantly clear to me. You correctly filmed the boost gauge, I don't think the tachometer really is a factor here. The fact that it occurs more often in low rpm and high load situations might make sense as that is when your engine is producing the most vacuum, which is what drives the re-circulation valve to open or close. I don't know how far you want to get into it yourself, but a good starting point would be checking all the vacuum lines that connect to your re-circulation valves. The other advice of circumventing the dealer and reaching out to Ford directly is also something I would recommend. Keep us updated.
Glamisfan and jsrick80 like this.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Full Access Member

i officially am out of this thread.

you just referred to "turbo spool" as "air leaking sound"
i explain all this in my previous post before you told me the video you took was pretty clear to you.

whats clear is you have no idea what is going on under the hood. no hard feelings, just dont try to act like you know what you are talking about while also asking for help. while also acting like you know better when multiple people have asked for a better video to help you further.
Jesus, that last paragraph was hard to read...
jabroni619 is offline   Reply With Quote