VA emissions issue with tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 and had a small issue with emissions testing. I did not fail emissions but I could NOT pass because their computers could not read any data from my CATs & O2 sensors. I was told by the shop that for whatever reason my truck would not send any data from the CATS and O2 sensors to their computer. I never told them anything about my tunes. They suggested I go drive the truck for a few miles.

Anyway, I came home and reinstalled my stock tune. Could someone tell me how many miles I have to drive until the CAT and O2 sensors reset?

Another question, is their a limit on how many times you can load a tune into your truck and then go back to stock. I would assume unlimited as it would suck if you could only load an x number of tunes.

I am posting this just in case anyone in VA wants a tune. I guess the lesson is to reload the stock tune before going in for emissions testing.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
which tune do you have? i believe 5* turns the sensors off entirely, which would cause the problem. SVCs leaves them active.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Slim he says he returned it to stock which would re activate all sensors

aaaaaand i can't read...thanks @Bulletnjm

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

talk to @cpost6, i believe he ran his through emissions recently with the SVC tune installed and had no issues, but just confirm with him...

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, this isn't everywhere in VA. I have never had a vehicle emission tested. I am sure that is subject to change at any time but for now:

"Which vehicles require an emissions inspection?

Certain vehicles require a Virginia Emissions Inspection PASS or WAIVER before DMV can complete the registration process. The requirements are categorized by fuel type,
◾Gasoline-powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is less than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year and with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less

◾Diesel-powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year of 1997 or newer and with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less
and apply to vehicles that are registered in one of the following localities:

◾Counties of: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford

◾Cities of: Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park

All local, state, and federal government vehicles registered or operated primarily in the Northern Virginia program area are subject to the emissions inspection program. In addition, Section 118 of the federal Clean Air Act requires that any employee of the federal government commuting into the program area and operating their vehicle on a federal installation comply with the emissions inspection program. Federal employees should contact their individual agency about compliance with this federal requirement."

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I went with SVC tunes in both of our Raptors since I needed to get emission test done on my sons truck last week and knew he would not pass with the 5* tune. He drove about 100mi to be sure before I had testing done and passed. Went with SVC tunes because we have no desire to drive either truck Stock even for a few days. The SVC tunes are now our daily drivers.

RAPTURR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pulled the battery to do work on my truck so when I went for inspection I had failed for the same thing.
Unfortunately the 1800 miles I put on didn't help. I drove around town for another week took a 300 mile trip and that still didn't do it. I went back to the same shop 3 times and on the forth try they passed it without the sensors data.
I also reinstalled stock tune

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's anything like Fairfax County you are allowed to pass 1 time with a single sensor unavaliable. That sensor must work the following year.