Qtp cut out wired to up fitter switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11raptor6.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering has anyone figured out how to wire the cut out into the up fitter switches(I think that's what everyone is calling them). I think I once heard Hennesey has it figured out. Any help would be great cut outs will be here Thursday.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Apparently Hennessy has a little box that can make it happen but the magic inside this little box is gonna cost you a bit. I think it was a couple hundred IIRC. Otherwise I haven't heard of a single person who has made it work.

The problem arises from the fact that you're trying to open a butterfly valve with a switch that only does power on, and power off. So you only will be able to open it wired directly to an upfitter, and then if you leave it on, you'll burn out the motor.

So the problem you run into is how are you going to reverse the polarity to close it again. That's where a rocker switch is what you need since it can do that. I have a bit of an electronics background and put some thought into it and came up empty. It can be done, but it's not the most simple thing.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I can think of is if the cutout on rotated on way. Open 90° then to close just rotated another 90° the same direction instead of 90° back the opposite way.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i looked in to this a while ago. 2 of these time interval ON relays should do it. they will apply power for a specified time when energized and then shut off. for example wire 1 of them +12v when the switch is "on" to run for 2 seconds to open the cutout. Then wire another when the switch is off to run and close the cutout. they will each reset to the ready position (de-energized) when you flip the switch. i think :hmm:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/08/tr-6_timeranger.pdf

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That's smart Birdman. I may look into that.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I see what you're going for though. Basically the normally open pin on the relay would power your "opening" timer, and your normally closed would power your "closing" timer.

Then if I'm thinking right, you'd wire your upfitter to the control pin so that when you crank it on, 12v goes to the relay, and the normally open contact is closed to open your cutout.

Then when you take power away from the relay by switching off the upfitter, you switch back to your normally closed and it engages the closing timer.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Right, and this made a lot more sense back in February when I thought I had it figured out. I think that manual I posted is missing some pages

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

RatedSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While were on the subject of the cut-out, do any of you guys think the truck is alil slower with the dump open? Cause when I have mine closed it feels like it's got alil more power. J.M.O. Your guys thoughts?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Ok after looking at the manual, this might not be all that hard really. You'd use the Single Shot Falling Edge for the "Closing" circuit. Then you would use the Watchdog Retriggerable Single Shot for the "Opening" curcuit.

With the WRSS, after input voltage is applied, it looks for the trigger voltage to be applied, then it closes the contact and would provide power to the cutout for whatever time you wanted, then shut off, regardless of the trigger voltage still being present. To make it open again you would need to cycle your upfitter switch to reset the trigger voltage

To close it, using the SSFE it's the opposite, it will not close until it senses an absence of trigger voltage, then it will close the contact and apply voltage to the cutout to close it on a time delay. This one works exactly opposite of the one for the "opening" circuit. So it will not try to close again unless you apply trigger voltage and then remove it.

So it looks to me like this could actually be fairly simple. The easy way would be to wire a constant 12v source into your two relays, then hook the wire from your upfitter to the control pins of your relays in paralell.

So you'd end up with it operating something like this:

Upfitter ON:
- Both relays recieve trigger voltage.
-Watchdog engages timed circuit then turns off after timer despite still having the trigger voltage present
-Cutout opens on time delay (probably 2-3sec)
-Single Shot relay also recieves trigger voltage but does nothing

Upfitter OFF:
-Both relays lose trigger voltage
-Watchdog stays off
-Single Shot relay senses loss of trigger voltage and engages timed circuit
-Cutout closes on the time delay (2-3sec again)
-Single shot turns off after time delay ends.

Input voltage would be constant through both of these, but it wouldn't drain your battery since it's just waiting to be used. If you wanted to go a step farther it wouldn't be hard at all to just take a normal relay and hook it up so you only have input voltage when the truck is running. I'm not going to go into that though.

I may look at building one of these up, it's just going to depend on how much the components are.

Let me know what you think bird!