Magnaflow x-pipe vs Factory Y @ 4300'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad_Rooster

Reaction score
Hey guys I own a auto shop with a Ben Pearson MC-59 Tubing bender so I do my own exhaust systems, I normally cut the crossover pipe under the trans and the pass side pipe before the y and start my Ford systems as a dual to either a dual in single out, dual dual muffler or two separate mufflers.

The Y pipe has always been the bottleneck in all of the 5.4's. Not so here with the larger Y on the 6.2. I want to see if anybody has cut out the Y and went X-pipe instead running a dual pipe config to either a single dual in dual out muffler or 2 individuals, I am a Magnaflow dealer so it will most likely be a 12468 muffler ( dual dual w/ x-pipe internal ) or 2 x 12229s for a deeper throat. Also the Magnaflow 2.5" X-pipe may be a slight restriction although that might be good for my application, I was thinking to use a 3' and sleeve it down to 2.5" All input is welcome and thanks in advance.

I have installed a Airaid Intake only at this point and So far it hurt me at very light throttle. It has showed over the last 3,000 miles a .6 mile per gallon increase on fuel mileage and no power loss @ mid or high rpms so 2 out of three is good :) a tuner is next if for only to adjust the shift points they are way to low for this altitude. Keep in mind I am @ 4300' elevation and hunting at even higher altitudes, my shit is weak here in Nevada, in California sea level it is a beast.

Last edited:

DezertRacer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a guy here in Texas, not sure if he is on the forum. I'm sure he is . His name is Brad and all of his work has been done at TMX. He has headers and the Magnaflow muffler with the internal X-pipe inside and ran it the way you are talking about with no resonator . I my self love the sound of his truck and once i get my headers installed will be doing a direct copy of his . Very nice low rumble at idle and ting noise from the headers and once you open it up it screams . His is dumped right in front of the rear axle, I wish i could get a video for you . You could try to get in contact with Jason @ TMX and see if he has a video or not

OP
OP
Bad_Rooster

Bad_Rooster

Reaction score
My shit sounds awesome, I cut out the Y-pipe, after much measuring and deliberation I installed a 3" Magnaflow X-Pipe, cross sectional area in the waist of 2.5" was the same area of flow as a 3 & 1/16" pipe ( too small ), as the factory Y is 3.200 at the smallest after the y to 3.480" at the largest, the 3'" X-Pipe was 3.560 so I necked it in & out to 2.5" and ran them to 2 Magnaflow 14" 2.5 in & out Mufflers through the stock 2.5" tailpipes.
Now it does have a drone @ 1800 to 2000 ONLY if you hit it exactly right in the right gear & exact throttle load. Instead of bending pipes exactly I only bent one to widen it enough for the two mufflers to sit side by side, this helps drone a bit as equal lengths have a large affect on drones. I wish I had a 15" case muffler so I could have installed 1 14" and one 15" to change the drone rpm per side ever so slight, that shit helps as well as the X- Pipe helps to knock drones down a bunch. I may install 2 Aero Resonators up front of the mufflers to quiet it down a tad ( I'm old lol ) But after driving a few weeks I'm getting used to the sound lol.:crazy: