Need advice on handheld radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting a Kenwood 790 for my truck but I also want a handheld as a backup and to share with friends on trips who dont have a radio in their truck.

What model of handheld do you recommend and who should I order it from?

Thanks!

Bill

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting a Kenwood 790 for my truck but I also want a handheld as a backup and to share with friends on trips who dont have a radio in their truck.

Thanks!

Bill

BaoFeng UV-5RE. Bought one from TreyPal at TRR.. Loved it so much that I'm picking up another for a buddy during our European expedition next week!

BaoFeng UV-5RE Plus Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version):Amazon:Car Electronics

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Bill

I have used the ALINCO, DJ-180 (VHF) in Baja for many years.....10 channel programmable, very durable with a surprisingly good range for a handheld. Has been replaced with model # DJ-X30T.

Ham Radio Outlet has them for about $180

OP
OP
Bilwil

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the BaoFeng UV-5RE Thanks for all the feedback. After getting it I realized I should have bought 2. That way my girlfriend and I can both have one when we get out of the truck for any reason. Now i have to figure out how to program all the channels in. I bought the USB cable but it does not seem to work. The manual programming seems pretty easy based on a YouTube video I watched.

Thanks for the advice. This forum is great!

Bill

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the BaoFeng UV-5RE Thanks for all the feedback. After getting it I realized I should have bought 2. That way my girlfriend and I can both have one when we get out of the truck for any reason. Now i have to figure out how to program all the channels in. I bought the USB cable but it does not seem to work. The manual programming seems pretty easy based on a YouTube video I watched.

Thanks for the advice. This forum is great!

Bill

Does your wife need one too?

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score