Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Night Raptor

This is a discussion on Night Raptor within the Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
Raptorwifey and I wanted to change the look of our Raptor and protect it at the same time. We didn't ...

User Tag List

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Night Raptor
Raptorwifey and I wanted to change the look of our Raptor and protect it at the same time. We didn't first consider a wrap, but once we started to learn more about them, it became a clear choice.

We shopped around Omaha and contacted the supporting vendors here on FRF. We finally decided to go with a local company for two reasons. 1) We were on a short time frame and wanted it completed before TRR and 2) the wrap came with a 4 year warranty. I do want to give a special shout out the Chris at Design N Signs. He was great to talk to and was willing to help and answer questions even after I told him we were going with a local company. Overall a great guy and good vendor.

The local Omaha company is Revolution Wraps. I worked directly with Scott (the president) and his lead designer Eric. I had a concept and colors picked out and Scott and Eric were able to start with a cool design. The design took a couple iterations, but this is what we finally came up with.

On the snoball500 myself, Huck and jjwpgh went on a night mission to recover a lost item on the trail. By the end of it, we were calling ourselves the "Night Raptors". Well, it kinda stuck.

My truck was blue and I wanted it to transition from matte blue in the front to complete matte black in the rear. As if the Raptor was being ripped into another dimension, a night dimension. And since it is a Raptor, I chose green scales to be the underside of the blue. So when the blue is ripped off the Raptor scales are exposed right before it is pulled into the night dimension. (I know, probably too much detail on this...)

Here is a detailed pic of the Raptor scales.

(you can see the Yukon Joe initials embossed in this pic)

The design started to evolve and I wanted to add things to really personalize the wrap of our truck to us. The words "NIGHT RAPTOR" in a 3M reflective material were added to the black matte bed sides and tail gate. As you can see the word NIGHT matches the RAPTOR lettering very well.

It really reflects the light well.

I also wanted to incorporate a cool effect that Revolution Wraps had shown us. It was embossing of the wrap. They print a vinyl sticker about three times over, add it to the truck, then apply the wrap. Once the wrap is heated to 200 degrees and adheres to the vehicle, the left effect is an embossed logo. I have WSI, RPG and Great Lakes Raptor Excursions logos embossed on the truck.

WSI

RPG

GLRE
Dirty

Clean

As you can see in this photo the GLRE Raptor Skull is done in the reflective material.

The wrap is completely printed on Avery wrap material that is 4 mils thick. Revolution did a great job of minimizing the seams in the wrap and making the wrap look like it is a custom pain job.

Here are some installation photos.

In this photo you can see the GLRE logo on the hood before the wrap is applied

And the final product. Raptorwifey and I are quite pleased with the wrap

When I found out that WSI was offering the Whelen lens trim covers in personalized color, I wanted to outfit the truck with them. I think they really match the scales portions of the wrap very well.

With the camera "Extreme" feature turned on

Enjoy the photos and let me know if you have any questions.

2012 SCREW | NIGHT RAPTOR Revolution Wrap | RPG Stage 4+, Black Tie-rods, Prerunner 1.0 UCA, Steering Res | AMB LED Light Kit | Raptor Retrofit HIDs w/ Amber Ring | Hefty Fabworks Skid Plates | ADD ABS Guard | Recon 10500lb Winch w/ Factor55 | Whelen LEDs | WSI FE Mount | Extang Solidfold | Weathertech Liners | PDP Flaps | TYT9000VHF Radio |
I love Raptorwifey
Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

love the embossed logos. looks really good. It is amazing what they are doing with wraps now days

Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Damn!

That Embossing is really freaking cool!!! Makes me wish I'd done a full wrap on mine...

Very nice!

Harblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It's even better in person! Really cool Joe. Enjoyed seeing it at TRR. The closer you look, the more subtle detail you discover. Yours is the first wrap that I've seen like this. Well done!
MotuMute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

I was lucky to be able to see Joe's/Nicole's truck in person at TRR...and I gotta tell you guys, it is the most incredible and creative wrap I have ever seen. From the reflective highlights to the awesome 3D raised sections, it's in a class by itself....and that hood....man I love that hood!!!!

Completed FRF Raptor Runs: Snoball 500, T.R.R. 13, Spring 13, SD Buffalo Run, Havoc in the Hills, Snoball 2, Spring 14, GLRE Time Attack (1st place 5:04), Havoc in the Hills 2, Rise of the Phoenix, Snoball III, Spring 15, Snoball IV
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That looks really good!
Yukon Joe likes this.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Love all the detail!
Yukon Joe likes this.

Picked up - 4/18/13
banman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Great looking truck YJ. Really looked great at TRR.
Yukon Joe likes this.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the complements guys.

My favorite part is the tear and the shadowing. It gives it the 3D effect. Eric at Revolution Wraps did a killer job at capturing what I wanted. It took about 12 or a few more hours to design.

One thing that helped is that we had our colors figured out. RW and I went to home depot and picked out color samples till we found what we liked.

Revolution Wraps had wrapped a few Raptors in the past, so that gave me the confidence that they could pull off the job. That, and the 12 years of experience. Scott was super knowledgeable. He was laughing at all the questions I had. Then he found out I was an engineer. Then he understood, lol...

I would definitely recommend them to anyone seriously considering a wrap.

As you can see, they take a good bit of the tuck apart to install the wrap. Everything was back where it belonged. I warned him about moving the bed, and he assured me that he would take before and after measurements to put it back.

They also labeled all the wires to the Raptor Retrofit head lights to ensure they went back correctly.

They did a killer job.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f113/rpg-wsi-present-south-dakota-buffalo-run-21214/#post364119
Wilson and DesaRaptor like this.

2012 SCREW | NIGHT RAPTOR Revolution Wrap | RPG Stage 4+, Black Tie-rods, Prerunner 1.0 UCA, Steering Res | AMB LED Light Kit | Raptor Retrofit HIDs w/ Amber Ring | Hefty Fabworks Skid Plates | ADD ABS Guard | Recon 10500lb Winch w/ Factor55 | Whelen LEDs | WSI FE Mount | Extang Solidfold | Weathertech Liners | PDP Flaps | TYT9000VHF Radio |
I love Raptorwifey

Last edited by Yukon Joe; 05-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

That's awesome joe! When I saw you pull up in your truck I said out loud "holly shit that's bad ass! Who is that" definitely stands out and looks amazing. I plan on wrapping mine too it's got tons of scratches and it's cheaper to wrap it then paint it just dot know what I want to go with yet.
pat'sRAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote