Wrapped the Baja Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
The wrap looks incredible, but I don't get spending tons of money to protect paint. Many of these clear coats and wraps are more expensive than targeted repainting.

I understand doing it to change the look of a truck or make it easier to clean, but it is no more expensive to repaint the hood for rock chips and repair/polish door and fender scuffs.

But I also have a white truck. Scratches, swirls, and water spots, what are those?

Ive had the Hood repainted already- The bed needs to be repainted too. Figured i would have some fun with the wrap for now. Looks pretty bitchin in person- had it one day and been stopped 10x ha.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant get much better than that.

Once I get tired of my current OEM paint color I will wrap mine too. Did that with my weekend car. I've wrapped it blue and now it is red always fun to have a new look.

charles06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But then you also have a vehicle that has been repainted, potentially costing you more money later, such as when traded. Nobody has a good reason for painting a truck in the eyes of the future owner/purchaser. Cheaper to replace a wrapped section than to paint it.

Think of it like this: If you went to purchase a used truck, and the seller says, "I just had the transmission replaced last month". Wouldn't your first thought be, "What was wrong with the old transmission"? Similar scenario as repainting a fender, hood, bedside, etc.

I've had clear bra on my Porsche for several years. Yes, I've had to replace it for roughly $1,000. But if I were to paint the pieces in lieu of wrapping, it would cost me potentially $5,000 in resale, plus the price of paint.

You may not like the way the wraps look, and getting them right is an art, but they are a smart investment.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But then you also have a vehicle that has been repainted, potentially costing you more money later, such as when traded. Nobody has a good reason for painting a truck in the eyes of the future owner/purchaser. Cheaper to replace a wrapped section than to paint it.

Think of it like this: If you went to purchase a used truck, and the seller says, "I just had the transmission replaced last month". Wouldn't your first thought be, "What was wrong with the old transmission"? Similar scenario as repainting a fender, hood, bedside, etc.

I've had clear bra on my Porsche for several years. Yes, I've had to replace it for roughly $1,000. But if I were to paint the pieces in lieu of wrapping, it would cost me potentially $5,000 in resale, plus the price of paint.

You may not like the way the wraps look, and getting them right is an art, but they are a smart investment.

Not to mention, you can't even trust really good paintshops to do good work. I went to a very high quality local shop to repaint my door (got a huge gash in it while waiting for my mud flaps to come in) and they left tons of scratches all over it. Had to spend 4 hours of detailing to get them out, and the paint is a bit less black (more reflective bits) than the rest of the truck.

I plan to get a wrap in a few years, and I'll protect it like I do my paint currently, with temporary trakk tape when I go out for excursions.

That said, I have heard wraps on their own hold up pretty well, and I am quite curious as to how Kent's is holding up to Baja abuse.