Windshield protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on ways to protect the windshield. My commute is through an industrial area, it's pretty much guaranteed I'll get a rock in the windshield in the next couple years. In addition to protection, I'd also want something that will reduce the heat coming in. Texas can get brutal.

I know there are films out there, and that's likely the way to go. Just not sure what to get. And it seems like something you don't need to be an expert to put on yourself.

Secondary to that, I might want to boost the front side windows to legal tint, as well the head/tail lights.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a tint snob. Would highly recommend Spectra PhotoSync IRD all around, including the moonroof and front windshield. You can go very light on the windshield and moonroof and still get very effective heat and UV blocking.

I’d like to do the exterior windshield protective film too, but it doesn’t work very well. Doesn’t play well with wipers and wears out quickly. But if you will see a lot of rocks, I could see doing it. Just plan on replacing it often,

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about the wipers wearing it down. I don't think I'd mind replacing a film once or twice a year as long as the material is cheap and I can do it myself.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a chip in mine last week...grrr. I've never filled one before, but I may here.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A brand new windshield is one of lifes , underrated pleasures. you never notice how pitted and scratched your windshield is, until you are sitting behind a brand new one.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the expected cost to replace the windshield? I've got $800 in my head, but I don't know where that number came from.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A brand new windshield is one of lifes , underrated pleasures. you never notice how pitted and scratched your windshield is, until you are sitting behind a brand new one.

We have a zero deductible on glass here, but they will fight you over OE or not. I think there's some stuff in Ford windshield we want to keep vs a knockoff replacement, right?

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have a zero deductible on glass here, but they will fight you over OE or not. I think there's some stuff in Ford windshield we want to keep vs a knockoff replacement, right?

I believe the rain sensor for auto wipers is there. Also the collision sensor, although that might be on the back of the mirror. There's a thread or two of people who had the collision sensor go off after sticking a dash cam up there.

I've always had a deductible for windshield that tended to be right around the cost of the windshield itself, so made no sense to go through insurance. Honestly not sure what I have now. Regardless, I'd rather just not have to deal with it....and keep the truck cooler.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the expected cost to replace the windshield? I've got $800 in my head, but I don't know where that number came from.

Whoa, that's way high. Depending upon the options you buy, it ought to be more like $500 to $650. That's for a GEN1.

You WILL replace your windshield. That's just life. When you have to do it, shop for an outfit that will repair their replacement windshield for free.