GEN 1 Wheels Questions (Brand, offset, size)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elMechanic

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I see most of the raptor owners go for METHODs, although they are the great wheel, but I really want to stand out, every RAPTOR in the street looks almost the same as the majority got them METHODs on.

Therefore, I was looking into BLACK RHINO, anyone used them? why they are not that popular?
the ones I am looking for are the BLACK RHINO Shredder (MATTE BLACK W/ MACHINED DARK TINT)

I really like the colors, the looks of it, but wanted to know if BLACK RHINO's are good for offroading as well as on-road? my 2013 SCREW is my DD.

upload_2021-1-30_15-50-47.png

My other question is, what's exactly is width? how does it affect the ride, and other stuff compared to the OEM bead-locks?
I haven't used the Beadlock ring on the OEM wheel yet, and not sure if I will ever, still has the beauty ring on it.

those wheels come in 17" with a width of 9 compared to the OEM i think they are 0.5-1 difference, what would that mean?
they got 0 offsets as well

thanks in advance

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This diagram should answer the size questions you have.
wheel_dimensions.jpg

Width doesn't mean as much as backspacing as far as fitment goes.

Those seem heavy for a flow formed wheel; for instance Venomrex vr-602 are 7 lbs lighter per wheel than those... Wheel and tire weight matters in a vehicle that emphasizes high speed suspension travel.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into black rhino wheels also. I have read some bad reviews online. So I'm glad you brought this topic up. I would like to hear some good things to help me make up my mind. I think they have some pretty cool looking wheels.

black Rhino.JPG

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
This diagram should answer the size questions you have.
View attachment 160849

Width doesn't mean as much as backspacing as far as fitment goes.

Those seem heavy for a flow formed wheel; for instance Venomrex vr-602 are 7 lbs lighter per wheel than those... Wheel and tire weight matters in a vehicle that emphasizes high speed suspension travel.

Thanks for sharing, sorry for the late reply as I have been busy lately,
I have seen this diagram before but I am still confused

Like, what's the difference between Positive offset and Negative offset? the backspacing changes as offset change? if it does, how would it be affected?
what about its effects on the driving/truck?

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
I was looking into black rhino wheels also. I have read some bad reviews online. So I'm glad you brought this topic up. I would like to hear some good things to help me make up my mind. I think they have some pretty cool looking wheels.

View attachment 160910

I agree, they have some good looking wheels, yet still not so popular,
what about those bad review? what they were about exactly? handeling? can't take much load/usage?

I still didn't pull the trigger on changing the OEM wheels as I am still trying to figure size & offset out

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, sorry for the late reply as I have been busy lately,
I have seen this diagram before but I am still confused

Like, what's the difference between Positive offset and Negative offset? the backspacing changes as offset change? if it does, how would it be affected?
what about its effects on the driving/truck?

Offset number is essentially a measure of how many mm from the center of the wheel to bolts mount to. The further in the negative direction you go from stock offset (which is +35) the further out your wheels/tires will stick out compared to stock. So for example, a wheel with +15 will stick out 20mm more than stock. A 0 offset will stick out 35mm from stock.

The issues you have to deal with if you go away from the stock size width and offset is primarily potential rubbing (since the wheel well was designed for stock, not your custom wheel/tire) and potentially slinging rocks/dirt/ etc down the slide of your truck. Probably others that I'm not aware of.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, they have some good looking wheels, yet still not so popular,
what about those bad review? what they were about exactly? handeling? can't take much load/usage?

I still didn't pull the trigger on changing the OEM wheels as I am still trying to figure size & offset out
Bad reviews I seen were:
Quality issues that's why they have no warranty.
People getting bent rims directly from the factory.

Before I get crucified. In my defense I read this online so it has to be true. I have zero experience with these rims other than window shopping.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Offset number is essentially a measure of how many mm from the center of the wheel to bolts mount to. The further in the negative direction you go from stock offset (which is +35) the further out your wheels/tires will stick out compared to stock. So for example, a wheel with +15 will stick out 20mm more than stock. A 0 offset will stick out 35mm from stock.

The issues you have to deal with if you go away from the stock size width and offset is primarily potential rubbing (since the wheel well was designed for stock, not your custom wheel/tire) and potentially slinging rocks/dirt/ etc down the slide of your truck. Probably others that I'm not aware of.

Yes, 0 offset wheels will throw a little more dirt down the side than factory......
F7487A8F-6645-40BB-A51F-B2E39528D845.jpeg