What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Floyd

Reaction score
So I took my spare tire off today and had it balanced with my other tires. The spare tire holder has a extra attachment I haven’t seen before. What is this and what is it for?

6EB856A4-30BA-40FF-99AC-C82DB4D116CB.jpeg 0E3E118A-F7BB-45DF-A559-D276283FFD3D.jpeg

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A spare tire hoist may be provided. A retention cable may be used to retain a spare tire against a surface of a motor vehicle. A tensioning spring may be used to tension the retention cable when the spare tire is in a storage position. A wheel plate engages the spare tire and cooperates with the retention cable and the tensioning spring to maintain the spare tire in the storage position. The wheel plate may include an insert portion that engages a center aperture of a wheel rim of the spare tire. A flange portion that substantially surrounds the insert portion and engages a peripheral surface of the wheel rim may also be provided. A reinforcement ring may be included in the wheel plate, substantially coextensive with the insert portion and extending within a substantially hollow region of the flange portion. The reinforcement ring may provide mechanical reinforcement to the wheel plate.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I took my spare tire off today and had it balanced with my other tires. The spare tire holder has a extra attachment I haven’t seen before. What is this and what is it for?

View attachment 148338 View attachment 148339

Lemme ask
Ya a question...was the last vehicle you drove equipped w/ 3” dual reservoir fox shocks, reinforced frame/shock mounts, a trick AWD transfer case, skid plates up the ass, 35” AT tires, a 500hp ttV6 engine fender flares & vents & marketed as a vehicle capable of leaping in the air & creating rooster tails in the sand? No? Well then that probably explains why you haven’t seen that setup on a spare hanging off the ass end of a truck before

Look @ it real hard again & try & come up w/ the reason

OP
OP
Charles Floyd

Charles Floyd

Reaction score
Lemme ask
Ya a question...was the last vehicle you drove equipped w/ 3” dual reservoir fox shocks, reinforced frame/shock mounts, a trick AWD transfer case, skid plates up the ass, 35” AT tires, a 500hp ttV6 engine fender flares & vents & marketed as a vehicle capable of leaping in the air & creating rooster tails in the sand? No? Well then that probably explains why you haven’t seen that setup on a spare hanging off the ass end of a truck before

Look @ it real hard again & try & come up w/ the reason

I love my Raptor but, why do so many people have to be ********** when people ask a simple question? Answer the question or don’t say anything, not that hard...... well apparently.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my Raptor but, why do so many people have to be ********** when people ask a simple question? Answer the question or don’t say anything, not that hard...... well apparently.

Unfortunately text/blog/forum convo rarely gets digested the way it’s intended- I questioned the same thing when I dropped it to coat the whole mechanism & area above w/ amsoil HDMP....there’s a taught spring in that sheath attached to the cable, pretty sure that’s going to help keep the spare from being a dead weight that starts to rattle a fixed mount & ultimately destroy it if you were to
Exercise the truck as intended....think of it as a mini suspension for that unsprung dead weight hangin off ass end when going over whoops/dunes/jumps all the bumps/Jounces etc

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

People aren't being **********. It's just how love and admiration is shown in here, with this proudly dysfunctional, demented family. :pimp:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 148338 View attachment 148339

It’s there to cushion the cable and tire combo so it can flex a little bit rather than breaking the cable. I have seen similar devices on other pickups, I think my 2001 and 2003 F-150’s had something similar. If not them it was my 2005 Nissan Titan. I always run additional straps on the tire after having the cable on my 1999 F-150 snap and drop the tire on the highway.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen them before. Not Raptor specific. Idea is to crank it tight and compress the spring, that way tension is always on the cable should it stretch or tire deflate, whatever. I don't think it has anything to do with doing Raptor stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc