Wet passenger floor! AC drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shthpnz

Reaction score
Some days ago I discovered that the floor under the mat on the passenger side of my 2010 scab was soaking wet. At first I thought it would be a residue of the leaking third brake light, but after a good drying time I discovered that the moist comes from the front of the floor, from the AC. No cooling fluid, just water.

Is this a well known problem on the Raptor? Searching on the web learned that in earlier times the F-150 had problems with the drain being horizontal, but that should have been problems of the past I would think...

Anybody recognizes the problem and then of course perhaps give me a hint for the cure?

Milhouse

Reaction score
After driving all day in a hot/humid road trip, I went out and checked the floor of my 2012. All is well there, dry as a bone.

Hopefully whatever your issue is, it's easily and cheaply fixed. Please let us know the outcome.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's usually in most vehicles, what would be the classic:
:birgits_tiredcoffeeCondensation from the evaporator.
Evidentally your drain hole is not working correctly.

----------No Pun Intended----------

There should be a drain exit at the firewall - Maybe a tech could chime in here

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shthpnz

Reaction score
Thanks for your input

It is the 3rd brake light.
It has not rained for days. This week I dried the undercarpet and found no traces of water coming from the 3rd brake light, which I caulked three months ago.

If it was also raining it could be the sunroof leaking or satellite radio antenna.
It has not rained lately.

Update: On the left side of the passenger firewall is a big round black abs Thing connecting the AC to the firewall. Around that Thing I get moisty fingers when using the AC. The Thing must be the drain exit. I discovered a TSB for the 2011 models describing a sloppy installation at the plant resulting in isolation blocking the AC drain exit, so perhaps the same employee was already working there in 2010.

This weekend I will remove the RF wheel and inner fender to have a look into the unknown. I'l keep you posted.

OP
OP
S

shthpnz

Reaction score
Update:
Today I removed the RF wheel. While removing the inner fender I discovered that the outer (grey plastic) fender needs to be removed too. Underneath that outer fender there are 6 bolts hidden. Those bolts keep the inner fender to the steel fender.

And yes the construction failure already known in the 2003 F-150 still exists! The AC exit tube is mounted horizontally. When water drips out and the car is stationary, the water falls to the ground. But when the car is moving the water drips out and runs back on the underside of the exit tube towards the firewall. When the firewall opening is not totally waterproof the water sneaks into the passenger floor.

And thats whats happening with my car. I saw that the grommet around the AC exit was not installed correctly. But there is such al little space between the motor and the firewall that I choose to caulk the whole grommet edge. And man, what does it take long before the motor is only hand warm. I got burns all over my right hand while trying to shove also an edged tube around the exit tube, so that the water runs down before leaving the tube. I hope those two remedies solve my problem.

A tip to be complete: Between the motor and the firewall there hangs also a wire wrapped in isolation stuff. You can move that cable out of the way by pressing it upwards. It will free its holder out of the motor just in front of the AC exit.

When I make my runs with the AC in full action I'll report my results.