Wet Passenger Floor, All possible issues explored.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now the frustration has set in. I like many others have had the dreaded wet carpet in the passenger foot well. So like every problem, I have exhaustively searched the forums and thought I knew why this happens and set out to fix it...

I pull up the WeatherTech mats and they have the ring of wetness on the bottom of the liners.. I pulled back the carpet and for my tests, I use the blue shop paper towels which show a single drop and turn dark blue. When I do plumbing work, if I ever suspect a leak, I put those and they always show a leak... Pulled off the A pillar plastic, pulled the side panel kick plate and the sill plate. I felt everything was exposed and I could see where the water was coming in.

1) Fully aware of the PanoRoof leaking and the plugged drains. Each drain has had 2-3 gallons of water poured though them and every one drains like a running faucet. I tested every drain an the water never backs up and runs out I even had more water than humanly possible poured into the open Pano area and not a drop detected in the floor boards or pillar ect....

2) I found the TSB about the Condensate discharge tube. The condensate does not drop out but runs long the tube, soaks the "foam barrier" and soaks the carpet. followed the TSB and installed the fix with Ford parts. I have only ran the AC 1-2 times now since the fix. The carpet was dry before my 1k road trip to/from Nebraska and the temps were 70's-30's and the AC was never on. I get home, wet carpets.

3) Is my windshield leaking? For what I can tell the window is OEM and looks original. I worked at a body shop in highschool and have had many of windshield replaced and usually I can tell and I see no signs replacement. Had the hose running on the roof and windshield for about 30 min straight and still no sign of water, every single paper towel stuffed in or laying in the front passenger side still did not have a single mark of water. I had water running over every part of the door, windshield, panoroof of the truck for extended periods of time which I felt could cause the wet carpet and nothing. All the drains in the bottom of the door are clear and weep water just like they should. My 2015 had sloshing water in the doors so I know all to well about door drain clog issues.

Can anyone think of something I am missing? I replaced my cabin filter at 20K and 40K. The last thing I want to do is take it to the dealer to have them give it back telling me they found no evidence and that I may have just spilled water......

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the AC runs while the defrost is on.

Have you pressure tested your cooling system? A leaking heater core can leak there as well.

Sounds like you are fairly handy. Remove the front passanger seat, pull the carpet back and run water over the truck.

Have you checked the rear of the cab?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had the same issue last year, also did the TSB myself, only thing different was I added extra tape around the drain to make sure no extra water was going in through kickback from tires. Maybe just another thing to check off for you?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well a couple things.
1: A/C compressor runs in all modes except "Vent" so just because you did not command A/C doesn't mean the A/C was not in fact running.

2: this should be pretty simple. I would suggest removing passengers seat but not necessary. Pull the carpet back to reveal bare floor metal. then watch where water comes from vs soaking the carpet and looking for source.

OP
OP
MRV99

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a couple things.
1: A/C compressor runs in all modes except "Vent" so just because you did not command A/C doesn't mean the A/C was not in fact running.

2: this should be pretty simple. I would suggest removing passengers seat but not necessary. Pull the carpet back to reveal bare floor metal. then watch where water comes from vs soaking the carpet and looking for source.
Already pulled the carpets back took off the side kick panel and sill plate. Then pulled back the carpet for all my water tests. Then put the shop towels down to highlight any wetness

OP
OP
MRV99

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a couple things.

I did the AC condensate TSB fix(90degree elbo and foil tape)so this should have been eliminated

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was going to suggest heater core as well, or possibly connections. I would think you’d smell coolant though.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2) I found the TSB about the Condensate discharge tube. The condensate does not drop out but runs long the tube, soaks the "foam barrier" and soaks the carpet. followed the TSB and installed the fix with Ford parts. I have only ran the AC 1-2 times now since the fix. The carpet was dry before my 1k road trip to/from Nebraska and the temps were 70's-30's and the AC was never on. I get home, wet carpets.
Those bastards. That TSB should have extended back to at least '10, I had to fashion my own elbow on my '13 for the exact same symptoms/cause (I feel vindicated hahaha!). Although Gen 1's don't have that metal chingus around the drain pipe, the solution is the same; turn down and extend so condensation can actually gravity feed out.

Sorry had to get that off my chest. To your problem, hope I can help, it sounds like condensation is still most likely the culprit. I dunno how humid it is there, but if it was mine I'd pull that elbow back off and cram a borescope up in there and see if some spider or creature (tiny unicorn maybe shxtting in there-Dane Cook reference heh) built a nest or any kind of debris is lodged in that pipe preventing egress of condensation. If it can't drain it will fill up quickly, as others have mentioned even if you don't stab the A/C button the system will run in defrost mode to dehumidify the air and whenever else it deems appropriate. Good luck!

ggsando

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem. After Ford replaced my windshield it was sent off to a body shop where they confirmed the A-pillar seams failed. Seams were fixed and no further leaks.