Vibrating/rubbing noise while rolling forward or backwards in front wheels/steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patire19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically happens when I’m backing up into my driveway or crawling slowly through a parking lot. I have 55k on the odometer, 2017. No mods to the suspension. No visible rubbing marks in the wheel wells. It’s been going on for a few months now, going to bring it in but I figured I’d ask here first as well. Sometimes the noise happens sometimes it doesn’t.

My first thoughts are warped rotors but when I hit the brakes the same sound/vibration happens.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically happens when I’m backing up into my driveway or crawling slowly through a parking lot. I have 55k on the odometer, 2017. No mods to the suspension. No visible rubbing marks in the wheel wells. It’s been going on for a few months now, going to bring it in but I figured I’d ask here first as well. Sometimes the noise happens sometimes it doesn’t.

My first thoughts are warped rotors but when I hit the brakes the same sound/vibration happens.
i have the exact same issue……not all the time, but often, very very light rubbing noise at slow speed and avian, not all the time, but when brakes are engaged at slow speed as well. Anyone?

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the exact same issue……not all the time, but often, very very light rubbing noise at slow speed and avian, not all the time, but when brakes are engaged at slow speed as well. Anyone?
Sorry, 2019 Raptor with 62k on the clock

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same rubbing/vibration noise while driving slow. intermittent at first but got more and more present. Also had hard shifts into drive/reverse and between 3rd and 4th gear. They looked at the IWE, then front dif, and T-case. Fast forward it was coming from the transmission, they are replacing it now. 2017 with 60k miles. I have 2 friends with 17's that had a similar issue and Trans replaced.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same rubbing/vibration noise while driving slow. intermittent at first but got more and more present. Also had hard shifts into drive/reverse and between 3rd and 4th gear. They looked at the IWE, then front dif, and T-case. Fast forward it was coming from the transmission, they are replacing it now. 2017 with 60k miles. I have 2 friends with 17's that had a similar issue and Trans replaced.
How much does a transmission and/or IWE replacement cost and is dealership the best option? How long does the repair take? Thanks!

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the IWE replaced a while ago under warranty. For the Trans I brought my truck in 3 weeks ago for service and look into the noise. I'm waiting for the price analysis to go threw for rebuild vs new trans because I have an extended warranty. Was told they'll end up giving me a new one because the price of parts and labor is higher then new. Not sure how long the process will take.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I took it to Les Schwab for a brake inspection. I was told the RF rotor sustained scaring, but the pads are still 6mm and smooth, and they said pads are only half worn. Schwab recommended a rotor replacement. I am waiting for them to obtain the parts. Schwab also advised me that I should replace the rotors in pairs….front and rear. Feedback?

HBRaptor

Reaction score
@Boost_it638 did this fix the problem? Seems like the same issue i am having. Rebuilt the shocks, put on new SVC UCAs, new sway bar links but the sounds has persisted. I have the same hard shifts (on downshift from 4 to 3) and D/R. Low speed rub/clunk noise in reverse and drive until 8-10mph...