Uniden R7 or should I drive the speed limit

• Yes - get the R7

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • No - drive the speed limit

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Other - get any brand of detector

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Radenso Pro-M detector, range on open highway is very good and false alerts are minimal. I looked at the R7 recently as I could use a new detector in the wife’s car, damn that thing is huge! At least twice as big as the Radenso. I ran ****** from the 90’s until the V1 in about 2013, and got the Radenso in 2017. I don’t miss the V1 at all, damn thing was false alert central, it never shut up in town.

I travel I-17 frequently, the cell coverage is spotty and other traffic using Waze is minimal at the times I travel. Waze is much better on I-40 or I-10.

MadMaxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V1 and K40 are old technology, plain and simple.

I'm a long time ****** user.

But....

Ever since the introduction of the Uniden R3 (which I own), and now the R7 having arrows, everything else has become obsolete.

As others have said, look up Vortex Radar on Youtube. He compares all of the latest and greatest Detectors that are out there, talks about firmware updates, up and coming things, all that good stuff.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drive fast...usually set the cruise @ 84 mph or so. I have not used a radar detector in 30 years.

Simply follow these rules.

1. Never be the lead car, always have someone out in front of you so you can visually see brake lights. Everyone brakes when they see a cop.
  2. Never speed around a curve or over a hill.
  3. Check all over passes and on ramps.
  4. Find a rabbit, keep 1/8 back from someone who drives as fast as you.
  5. stay in the right lane except to pass. cops train radar on the left lane.
  6. WAZE!!!!!!!!

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a Valentine 1 to a Uniden R3 and a Uniden R7 (2 vehicles). The Uniden is WAY better than the Valentine. The R7 had some initial bugs but taken care of with the last firmware update. Go for it!!!

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t spend that much money. I just bought a Uniden R3 for like $300 new. I don’t think you need the arrows. It’s mainly for my Evo. I don’t feel safe going too fast in my Raptor with it’s extremely poor braking performance and handling.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t spend that much money. I just bought a Uniden R3 for like $300 new. I don’t think you need the arrows. It’s mainly for my Evo. I don’t feel safe going too fast in my Raptor with it’s extremely poor braking performance and handling.
Comparing your Raptor to an EVO, there is a huge difference. Comparing it to any other 6k pound truck, it's far from extremely poor in braking or handling.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last few times I’ve been pulled over it was by a cop who was behind me, no radar/laser detector gonna prevent that - cops don’t need em if they’re pacing you.

I travel a lot up & down east coast & Midwest for work rack a lot of miles on my own vehicles + rentals, the raptor isn’t really something I speed in @ hwy speeds cuz it’s a damn brick, the mpgs go down massively over 72-75mph it seems & it flat out ain’t safe IMO to drive a 3 ton pickup truck like its a vette.

But when it comes to speeding in my Z06 & anything else for that matter you know what I’ve found to be better than radar detector (& I had a valentine)? Waze app.

I wish the Waze app would work for me just so I could report speed traps. Thankfully, google added this feature to google maps, but you can only do it while en route, which is unfortunate because I take great pleasure in ruining the scam revenue scheme.

I rarely - if ever - speed on purpose. In fact the only ticket I've ever gotten was when I was in college, and accidentally sped through a speed trap town I didn't know about. I had always driven 5 under before that - that ticket made me realize it doesn't matter how fast you are going unless there is a cop around.

I still usually go slower than the speed limit, mainly because of the air drag hit over 70, but I hate seeing speed traps with a passion. And they never seem to get the people who actually drive reckless, like passing in a blind no passing zone.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive fast...usually set the cruise @ 84 mph or so. I have not used a radar detector in 30 years.

Simply follow these rules.

1. Never be the lead car, always have someone out in front of you so you can visually see brake lights. Everyone brakes when they see a cop.
  2. Never speed around a curve or over a hill.
  3. Check all over passes and on ramps.
  4. Find a rabbit, keep 1/8 back from someone who drives as fast as you.
  5. stay in the right lane except to pass. cops train radar on the left lane.
  6. WAZE!!!!!!!!

These are words to live by.
I drive about 1000 miles a week to JDM and these rules are perfect.