Trails - Part II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yes in our manuals it clearly states 25mph for e-locker in standard mode

Mine will disengage at 0 mph if I lose traction. Its funny to feel the ABS try and shut one wheel down when the locker's engaged (without trac-loc off) - it gets all confused and frustrated so it shuts down power to overide my heavy right foot :)

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Sounds good.
I would also like peoples scenarios in modes, like for example Bo said he likes desert running in 2w with E-locker and ORM engaged. Sorry Bo if I got it wrong but that's what I also want that way it give people ideas for settings in different situations. Rock climbing, mudding, deep sand, ect.

Ok - I am still learning my preferences with this baby - but some of the tried and true are:
- Rock climbing - ORM/TC off/locker engaged. Haven't done a lot of this as I don't own any gold mines, but having the full setup active made me feel safer. The only other improvement I'd like would be 8-10 cameras scattered throughout the truck to see all points of contact (and potential points of demise).
- Mud - ORM/TC on/Locker disengaged. For the first attempt at a hole, I like to try it basic. If I encounter something to 'high center' the truck, then a full out approach is necessary with everything engaged and some good forward momentum (3rd gear). If its boggy mud, then I'll hit it a few times in 3rd with the original setup and muscle my way through it using tire spin and turning the front wheels to try and gain traction. A little bit goes a long way.

'Aside' - lockers are great and all, but even if you have a vehicle without - when both wheels are spinning, its unusual for one to break the cycle and lose traction. A locker just guarentees that both will spin. When high spin conditions are required, you can often go the same places without the locker engaged - as long as you didn't forget to disengage the damn traction control That'll **** you up 7 times out of 10! (don't ask how I know...).

- Trails - ORM/TC off/Locker off. Trail running, if there are slick ruts, is best done without the locker engaged, unless there's a tricky spot to navigate. Trails often involve lots of tight turns, and having the locker on may cause your ass end to slide sideways at an inconvenient moment and kiss a tree.
I run most things in 2wd if I can, and when in 4wd (low), I use 2nd or 3rd gear - never Drive.

- Sand - my Raptor's never seen sand yet - but I hope to in April. I'll let Bo or others that have that experience help out here!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
That's awesome JP7, this is exactly what we need to help people out. Anyone else with experience in certain situations on use this and don't use that. Please give us your input.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the chart alot, the personal experience input is also helpful to read.
I'm just not quite adept at this electronic setup yet.

spot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info.
All my other trucks are old school and have no nannies. I'm going to be taking mine to play in the sand for 4 days the first week in April. I guess I'll have to relearn how to drive. I'm used to stop get out of truck, lock hubs, shift t-case to desired range and go. Somehow all the buttons in the Raptor make it seem harder to go play.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Good info.
All my other trucks are old school and have no nannies. I'm going to be taking mine to play in the sand for 4 days the first week in April. I guess I'll have to relearn how to drive. I'm used to stop get out of truck, lock hubs, shift t-case to desired range and go. Somehow all the buttons in the Raptor make it seem harder to go play.

I hear that - I'm old school too. But I've found that you can use the new electronic shit to get the performance you are used to, and this truck out-performs everything I've owned except my 78 Bronco. (can't beat a short wheelbase in the mud).

Play with it - if you can stand the boredom of reading the other posts I've put up in here - you'll see I've played a bit with mine and encourage others to find their comfort level. Having control over your machine is liberating and a necessity when in a tight situation.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Play with it - if you can stand the boredom of reading the other posts I've put up in here - you'll see I've played a bit with mine and encourage others to find their comfort level. Having control over your machine is liberating and a necessity when in a tight situation.

I completely agree.. The Raptor is a well built factory pre runner. With knowledge of terrain, your equipment, your skills and limits. The Raptor is an incredible off road machine (except for broncos and international scouts.. :p )

Think the hardest part with this truck is tech overload with all the nannies. Its not like the old days when you would lock the hubs, throw it in 4 low and give it hell. You actually, have to think about what you want the Raptor to do, (off road, t/c off locker on/off) In Fords quest to make the Raptor "smart" they added a layer of complexity. You just have to read other owners post/guides or get out there and get used to all the modes/nannies.

Above all, don't be scared if you will get stuck, know what you need to do to avoid or get unstuck. Know your enviroment, know your truck and its limits, know your skills and your limits.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I completely agree.. The Raptor is a well built factory pre runner. With knowledge of terrain, your equipment, your skills and limits. The Raptor is an incredible off road machine (except for broncos and international scouts.. :p )

Think the hardest part with this truck is tech overload with all the nannies. Its not like the old days when you would lock the hubs, throw it in 4 low and give it hell. You actually, have to think about what you want the Raptor to do, (off road, t/c off locker on/off) In Fords quest to make the Raptor "smart" they added a layer of complexity. You just have to read other owners post/guides or get out there and get used to all the modes/nannies.

Above all, don't be scared if you will get stuck, know what you need to do to avoid or get unstuck. Know your enviroment, know your truck and its limits, know your skills and your limits.

Damn that pulls on the heartsrtings - I had a chance to grab a 68 Scout with a 425 Caddy motor but lacked the coin. Similar to Warrior's steal at 10,500 - I just can't break the bank right now, although his truck is my dream machine.

Back to the thread - yeah, each of us has to know their limits, but the only way is to take your toy out to play :)